Main Menu

Ignition key and steering lock .need help 1973 Challenger.

Started by Beetle, October 31, 2018, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Beetle

Hello I'm I can't get my ignition key to go in (at all) the ring you pull down on to remove key won't allow key to go in .I was having problems getting my key to go in the last click but now it won't go in at all. I'm going to try putting something in there to align it again but any help would be appreciated thank you,
Gene

Beetle

Beetle

Cuda Cody

It sounds like the lockout feature is stopping you.  Have you tried turning the steering wheel at the same time?

Cuda Cody

You have it in park?  Maybe one of the rods needs adjusting to make it line up and think it's in park?

anlauto

The steering column is not linked to the transmission in 1973  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Often as the lock wears if you have a shallow 1st cut near the head of the key the pin is very short & the pin will roll sideways & jam , if you take a paper clip & bend it straight with a 90* hook on the end & insert it into the keyway & pull it back along the top of the slot it can roll the pin straight again , adding lube , graphite is best ,can help for a while  but really you need to remove the cylinder & the first pin or replace the lock with a new assy

Beetle

Thank you
I will try the paper clip.
If I need to replace my lock cylinder anyway could I use a drill or to make it work with any key/screwdriver,ect.
Or is it easier to do it the right way
I just need to move my car for storage in my yard and I'm not worrying about anyone, stealing it. ,
Thanks ,
Gene

Burdar

If you can't get the key in, remove the steering wheel and pull the crush can.  Once the turn signal switch is removed, you should have access to the lock cylinder.

Beetle

Thank you everyone for the advice ,
I just got steering wheel pulled off.  it was a challenge  to get the puller inside the crush can😥🤤🥴  👍

Topcat

Quote from: Beetle on November 01, 2018, 07:22:32 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice ,
I just got steering wheel pulled off.  it was a challenge  to get the puller inside the crush can😥🤤🥴  👍

Check out CODY's column disassembly in resources if necessary.

Beetle

I almost got it but I'm having problems getting the ignition lock cylinder to come out
The pin that needs to be pushed in to release cylinder  won't push in far enough .I'm about to take a punch and Hammer it in , any suggestions, maybe drill out the pin?, Thanks
Gene

Chryco Psycho

I believe the lock has to be turned for the pin to depress so yes a punch or if you can get the key in 1 more time & turn it

Beetle

I got it out. Thanks for helping me, now to put back together 🙄

Chryco Psycho

You can have the new lock pinned to the old key if it is the same as the door locks, or you could just remove the first pins & spring