Main Menu

known scammer cowenox contacting me offering parts

Started by 72restocuda, January 02, 2023, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Just be forewarned there is a scammer here going by cowenox - the scam is they goto the site listing parts wanted, they say hey I know a guy who has what you want, eventually they get you to send money via something like Zelle and you get nothing. a quick internet search of the name shows upon Ducati, Corvette and other sites. All calling them a scammer. all showing them signing up November 26th. 

Mr Cuda

Well, he must be in the early  stages of gaining confidence from others, and getting his post count to 10 right now.
I believe you,  if ither sights have had warnings.
Here i suggested you get parts while on sale, as i couldn't  offer you what you needed separately.
Definitely not a scammer here.

72restocuda

I got burned by a scammer like that person on another car website, the scam is really insidious because they play on the needs of speciality car people, and use money transfer sites that provide no protection, like Zelle.  A quick google search was really helpful.  they aren't smart because they use the same name for Ford, Chevy, Dodge sites, motorcycle sites, this winner even used this to scam people on an airsoft website.  So a word to everyone on this site, if someone says they have what you need or says I know a guy who does, just do a quick google search.

70_440-6Cuda

I keep getting these as well - reported the handle on here - very annoying, blocked his email. :verymad:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

440ehigh

I've received a few of these lately and they email me directly. They are getting better at the scams and look for pictures of the parts on the internet and there english isn't as bad as scammers in the past.   

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 440ehigh on January 04, 2023, 05:28:36 PM
I've received a few of these lately and they email me directly. They are getting better at the scams and look for pictures of the parts on the internet and there english isn't as bad as scammers in the past.   

The irony of the wrong use of "there" instead of "their" when commenting on spammer's English :))

(no offense meant, I know I am far from perfect when it comes to written communication)

70vert

I'm curious how they are getting people's email. Not from this site I assume, don't think mine is even listed in my profile.
I have a "junk" email that I use for all sites (including FB) that I do not expect/want to get email from. It is a real email but one I seldom look at as I know it just has junk.

61K T/A

Don't be cheap. I use Paypal and pay the 3%. Insist on PP. If the seller refuses to accept, you know why.

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: 61K T/A on January 07, 2023, 05:39:33 AM
Don't be cheap. I use Paypal and pay the 3%. Insist on PP. If the seller refuses to accept, you know why.

I agree, but there are reputable guys selling on here that dont want to deal with paypal and the fees etc. so that doesn't always work - I have a taken some calculated risks on here but have always spoken to the seller on the phone.

This guy tried to sell me some Hemi leaf springs, when I asked to speak on the phone he ghosted me.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Can't we get this guy banned?  I keep getting personal messages from this clown trying to get me to email the most random email address to buy parts - so annoying.

:pullinghair:

BluRaySRT

Yes!!!!   I almost just fell for this scam!   A 'guest' account refers you to his email.   He shows you pics of the part.  The pics actually come from someones old post.  What saved me was that he asked me to venmo and he didn't have an account.   He says... oh...  try my wife's...   I look her up and before I can send the money Venmo posts a warning and asks for the last four digits of her phone number.  Finally... I caught on.   Sometimes you want that part too bad and lose sight of common sense.  Beware!

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Spikedog08

Quote from: cuda hunter on March 02, 2023, 06:58:07 PM
@Spikedog08

Maybe you can help?

I don't show him as a member here. . . Maybe someone booted him before I saw this???   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!