Main Menu

71 Challenger rt's, V68 because of Body Side Molding?

Started by Flatdad, September 28, 2017, 07:56:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

My car is a V68 stripe delete, the broadcast sheet is long gone. From looking at the old options and pricing lists, the only mention of deleting stripes I find is when 'Body Side Vinyl Molding' is ordered. I see no mention of an individual stripe delete option in any literature.

I'm wondering if V68 was exclusively driven by ordering the body side molding. What do you guys think?

Cuda Cody

You would only get V68 if the car had a package that included the Stripe as part of the package.  For example the A66 Challenger package included a bumble bee stripe.  If you did not want the stripe you have to order the A66 with a stripe delete.  That's when you would see a V68.  If the car did not have a stripe package then no need to delete something that was not there to begin with.   :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Flatdad

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 28, 2017, 08:12:29 AM
You would only get V68 if the car had a package that included the Stripe as part of the package.  For example the A66 Challenger package included a bumble bee stripe.  If you did not want the stripe you have to order the A66 with a stripe delete.  That's when you would see a V68.  If the car did not have a stripe package then no need to delete something that was not there to begin with.   :alan2cents:

Of course, talking specifically '71 R/T's as stated in the thread title. It was my understanding the stripes are standard on the 71' R/T cars. V68 is called out on my tag.

I might be nit picking, but it would be cool to know if my car came with this item. Body side molding doesn't look like a coded option.

Flatdad

An original photo or original paint car would really put this to rest for me. The two examples of original paint V68 1971 R/T's I could find online had issues that made them inconclusive.

Cuda Cody

Yes, you are right.  If 1971 RT's had the stripe as part of the RT package, then I think you would have to have it deleted if you did not want them or if you wanted body moldings.  @6bblgt  might be able to answer this better then me.

1 Wild R/T

V68 is there because the man ordering the car didn't want it to have a stripe... Nothing more...  Yes side moldings would generate a V68 but since there are no moldings coded...     A05 Protection Group would also get side moldings & therefore a V68..... A painted pin stripe would trigger V68.. But you don't need anything else to have a stripe delete car, just check the V68 box & no stripe would be applied...

anlauto

Yes in 1971, with the Challenger, you could simply ask the dealer when ordering to delete the stripe if you didn't like it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

1971 Challenger R/T had vinyl longitudinal/side-sport stripes STANDARD (V6_)

ONLY one side treatment code will be on the fender tag of a '71 Challenger R/T (stripe OR no-stripe OR body side mouldings)

stripe = V6_ pick a color ("X" - black, "W" - white, "J" - florescent lime, "V" - florescent orange) * STANDARD
no stripe = V68 on fender tag * NO-CHARGE
body side mouldings = V5_ pick a color ("X" - black, "B" - blue, "F" - green) * $14.25

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 28, 2017, 09:59:07 AM
ONLY one side treatment code will be on the fender tag of a '71 Challenger R/T (stripe OR no-stripe OR body side mouldings)

So a 71 Challenger R/T with V5 side moldings would have the V5 code on the tag, but not a V68 stripe delete code.
That's interesting.  I never really thought about it until now.
Thanks Dan!

Flatdad

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The side molding was color coded? Didn't know that. All this stems from my fender tag being such bad shape, that most of the codes are only partially legible. Its taken a lot of detective work to figure out how the car was truly equipped. I might just have to start a dedicated fender tag thread or something.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Flatdad on September 28, 2017, 10:43:06 AM
I might just have to start a dedicated fender tag thread or something.

That sounds fun, show us what you've got.