Main Menu

"Limp" Mirror

Started by moparcop, December 05, 2018, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparcop

Anyone have a fix of a really loose side view mirror?  The glass part that swivels inside the housing is really loose. I took it off the car, seperated it from the mounting stantion via the screw.....but can't get behind the glass. How the hell did they make these anyway?  The ball / pivot is in the aluminum casting. :whiteflag:
"No matter where you go....there you are"

RUNCHARGER

70 right side? I would just build a clear silicone stand for it to sit on.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

the screws are accessed behind the mirror so you have to break the glass to disassemble

dodj

I think Dorman makes a reasonable replacement glass.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

I had that same problem a few years ago. After removing the unit from the housing, I took it to an automotive glass repair shop and they removed the mirror for me. The second pic shows what gives the resistance for the stem. I ground down the smashed spuds removing the plate, hit the center of the plate a couple times, then drilled it out and found some small flat headed screws/nuts and fastened it all back together.

AAR#2

Quote from: Racer57 on December 10, 2018, 05:50:29 AM
. . . the resistance for the stem. I ground down the smashed spuds removing the plate, hit the center of the plate a couple times, then drilled it out and found some small flat headed screws/nuts and fastened it all back together.

Same here (w/pic)

pink aar

Dodj, I just looked on Dorman web site and I couldn't find the mirror.  If you could help with that mirror , I would be thankful. I need one.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: AAR#2 on December 10, 2018, 01:50:27 PM
https://www.internetglassnetwork.com/ssl/plymouth/barracuda.htm

Here's where to go

This nice, except the 70 mirrors are different than 71-74.....

Which is also true about the above post showing removal of the mirror from the housing.....  71-74 has the bracket with two screws...   70 has a pivot ball with a splined post that is driven into a receiver in the mirror housing....

If your working on a 70 to remove the pivot ball/mirror from the housing I use a hard rubber pad laying on my work bench & I basically slap the housing face down on the rubber pad... It usually takes a few slaps but the ball will pop out.... The repair to the pivot is the same as the later design.... Before reattaching the glass drive the post back into the mirror housing.... Use a little green loctite on the post for good measure...

If your lucky you have chrome mirrors cause the chrome usually survives the process...  Paint usually doesn't so if the car is gonna be painted fix the mirror before paint...If it's already painted I would be forced to consider the silicone method...

FWIW I've taken my mirror to the local glass shop & they have cut mirrors to fit....  And for the detail nazis Resto Rick has offered a date coded mirror glass but I no longer see it listed on his website... Might be worth contacting him to ask...

AAR#2

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 10, 2018, 06:10:08 PM
Quote from: AAR#2 on December 10, 2018, 01:50:27 PM
https://www.internetglassnetwork.com/ssl/plymouth/barracuda.htm

Here's where to go

This nice, except the 70 mirrors are different than 71-74.....

FWIW I've taken my mirror to the local glass shop & they have cut mirrors to fit....  And for the detail nazis Resto Rick has offered a date coded mirror glass but I no longer see it listed on his website... Might be worth contacting him to ask...

The OP didn't mention what year he is fixing so I suppose I was led a stray by the 2nd post stating it's a 70 right hand. My experience is only with 70, my fix and where to get the glass. I got my drivers side from the website provided and it was an exact match for shape to my original. My passenger side I received from Resto Rick, but only because it was date coded. He no longer has these posted and I was told I received the last one, though contacting him for verification never hurts.

As for using a glass shop to cut a mirror, keep in mind these mirrors actually permit a percentage of light to pass through them, where a bathroom mirror does not. All original mirror I have pulled, when held up to your eyes, can be seen through. This keeps one from having a blinding reflection of light in your mirror, perhaps worse with modern lights. While this may not be of concern for many, good to be aware.

dogbite

Thanks for this. I just did this fix on my Challenger. After a floppy mirror season I needed to fix. Unfortunately I broke the mirror glass but ordered a new one. I drilled out the two mashed spots that held tension plate and used # 6 self taping 1/2 screws. Seems to work great now.

fronteyejack

When I chanced my mirror class,70 E-body chrome mirror,I did use hairdryer to heat up the class.

Racer57

Local glass/mirror shop made me a new mirror.  They used a scrap piece of mirror and charged me $10.   :banana: :banana:

spchallenger340

Needed to replace my mirror glass on my 70 Challenger ... some say use paint thinner or acetone to get the glass off?  I decided to just soak the mirror in gasoline for a couple of days and the glass fell right off without even prying on it.. Just thought I'd pass it along to others.  :woohoo:

spchallenger340

Soak my mirror for a couple of days in a can of gas and glass fell right out of holder with no problems