Main Menu

Line assembly

Started by ply64post, September 02, 2017, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

Barracudas and Challengers being built in the same plant Hamtramct, were they assembled by model or were they built mixed on the assembly line? I guess to clarify did Dodges have there own line and Plymouth on there own line or were they mixed?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

It was mixed. Guessing from the VINs they apparently made them in "batches". Seemed like an inefficient way of building them, but that appears to be how it was done.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

Hamtramck, MI assembly built ~363,000 cars for the 1970 model year on 2 assembly lines
* line #1 (~110,000) less than 1/2 the production output of line #2 (~250,000)

233,000+ Valiants & Dusters
67,000+ Challengers
45,000+ Barracudas
17,000+ Darts

MIXED & 1/2 the cars (50%+) were Dusters  :lookatthat:

6bblgt

Quote from: RzeroB on September 02, 2017, 10:36:40 AM
It was mixed. Guessing from the VINs they apparently made them in "batches". Seemed like an inefficient way of building them, but that appears to be how it was done.

VINs were assigned in batches - they were built (almost) at random

ply64post

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 02, 2017, 10:53:01 AM
Quote from: RzeroB on September 02, 2017, 10:36:40 AM

VINs were assigned in batches - they were built (almost) at random

67,000+ Challengers
45,000+ Barracudas
17,000+ Darts
362,000  Total 

Being the cars were built in batches, so serial numbers were issued in numerical order according to model to what ever it may be that period of time. So the 362,000 cars can be mixed serial numbers for that particular year?

6bblgt

the cars were NOT built in batches

0B105000 is assigned/scheduled/assembled in August 1969 & 0B450000 is assigned/scheduled/assembled in July 1970
but they were not built in actual VIN sequential number

on the line each Barracuda probably had a Duster before & after it, based on the sheer quantity of Dusters built, but it could've been another Barracuda or Challenger

0B236866 is a Challenger VIN assigned & "SCHEDULED" for January 1970, but built in February
0B292445 is a Barracuda VIN assigned & "SCHEDULED" for April 1970, but built in March

JH23J0B276687 was directly in front of JS23V0B278082 on assembly line #1 on Monday March 9, 1970

RzeroB

I grew up in a town with a Chevy final assembly plant (hey, I can't help where I grew up) and it was a popular destination for school field trips. The tour rolled along the assembly line in a "cart-train" that looked like a roller-coaster with an electric powered engine pulling all of the carts behind it. The plant where I lived produced both pickup trucks and full size cars. One time I went I saw nothing but pickup trucks on the line. The next time it was nothing but Caprice's. It was a fascinating experience watching them make a car from a set of frame rails right before your eyes.

From a mass manufacturing point, I still think they had to have made the various models at Hamtramck in "batches" - 25 Challengers, followed by 100 Dusters, etc.  :wrenching:  It was inefficient as it was lining up the various different parts for each basic model, imagine how much more inefficient (and harder) it would be to line up all the various different parts for all the different models? It would be a nightmare for whoever it was that had to stage all the parts along the assembly line if they built them completely randomly - 1 Challenger, followed by 10 Dusters, then 2 Barracudas, followed by 3 Darts, etc.  :wrenching:  I don't know. However they did it, I'm glad they did, cause if they didn't, we wouldn't all be here talking about it, or even on this site for that matter.  :cheers:

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

blown motor

A few years back I toured the CaseIH combine plant in Grand Island, Nebraska. Both CaseIH (red) and New Holland (yellow) were owned by Fiat and both brands of combine were built at that plant. There were 4 or 5 Case models and I think 4 NH models. They were all built on the same line in random order. Everything was scheduled. They unit moved through the plant on a rail system and at each station the required parts were waiting in the correct build order. So a trolley of side panels would be loaded with a red, red, yellow, red, yellow, yellow, etc. as needed for the production schedule. There were no batches. It was all done with very thorough scheduling of the parts needed to match the build schedule.           
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ply64post

67,000+ Challengers
45,000+ Barracudas
17,000+ Darts
362,000  Total 

I guess to clarify, of the total models built, the vins were a mixture amongst the 5 models being built at the plant. The vins started at 100010 up to what ever the total would be for that particular year? I'm sorry for all the questions on this subject, but wanted to know how the production ran and how all the models were built.
So can the last 6 digits be duplicated from plant to plant in that model year?                          :unitedstates: 

Thank You To All
                                                    Jeff

RzeroB

Quote from: ply64post on September 03, 2017, 08:10:47 AM
I guess to clarify, of the total models built, the vins were a mixture amongst the 5 models being built at the plant. The vins started at 100010 up to what ever the total would be for that particular year? So can the last 6 digits be duplicated from plant to plant in that model year?

As far as I know, the VINs started at 100001 and went up from there. And you are correct on the last six - they were duplicated from plant to plant - there could be a BS23H0B123456 from Hamtramck and a BS23H0E123456 from L.A.
Cheers!
Tom