Main Menu

Wanted, honest opinion

Started by Joegrapes, September 09, 2023, 05:50:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

I'm trying to get a realistic opinion on the value of my car. I'm not trying to sell it, but was just wondering what someone would actually pay for it.
First a little back story. I bought the car, or I should say parts of two cars, back in '96 from a guy who's son started it and moved and he wanted it out of his garage. He had a 1974 318 auto Barracuda rolling shell. The car had no interior and the engine and trans were out and sitting on the floor. He also had a 1970 383 auto Gran Coupe that he stripped all the parts off of and junked the rest. So I dragged everything home and started work. The only VIN I had was on the Gran Coupe dash. I had the 1970 complete interior and even the build sheet was still under the seat. I also had the 1970 383 and trans, both doors, front grill and header panel and tail panel and left front fender. The right fender is from the 1974. The power bulge hood and trunk lid came from some other car.
I stripped the shell to bare metal and welded in new cabin and trunk floors and a cut out minimal rust here and there and welded in new metal. I also replaced the filler piece between the rear window and trunk channel. I painted the whole car top and bottom the original Tor Red and completely recovered the interior to the original Gran Couple interior with Legendary and Just Dashes parts.
I had a 1970 440 motor and 883 from a 72 Roadrunner I picked up from a friend of a friend cheap. So I bored the motor .03 over, used KB pistons, resized the rods, Comp Cams 274 cam, Edelbrock RPM heads and intake, roller rockers, FBO ignition and Edelbrock E Street fuel injection and TTi headers and exhaust. I have the original 3:23 sure grip and a 3:91 sure grip.
I upgraded the suspension with Wilwood discs all around and QA1 parts. Billet Specialty 18 x 10 rear and 17 x 8 front wheels.
I did the local car show scene for a few years and won lots or first place awards. I ran it down the strip a few times with a best time of 13.01 @106.6 but my 60 ft times were bad, around the 2 second range.
With 20 plus year old paint it has a few chips and scratches.
Anyway here are a few pics. Don't worry about hurting my feelings 😂

Joegrapes

More pics

anlauto

I would say you're easily in the $50K-$60K range...being honest about the rebody is notable, but not helping the value...I think whoever eventually buys it, will buy it because it's a very nice looking Cuda and they won't care so much about the history...you're not selling it as a pristine over the top correct OE resto...so most people won't care. :1place:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

I would agree - since I bought my car last year, and learning so much here I think there are a couple of notable things with your car.  The most important is the longevity of ownership and knowing exactly how the car was put together.  So many of these cars are advertised with descriptions glossing over the details of what the car is, was, or should be it is shocking - if I have to read one more advert telling me how the 'Cuda is the Holy Grail of the muscle car......

For me it also looks really sharp - everything seems to be correct in terms of fit, finish and quality - there is an attention to detail that is noticeable.  I would pay a premium for the detailed history and quality of the car, even if it is an older restoration.  A respray over a quality body is way easier than finding a bunch of nightmares down the road. :alan2cents:

Here is one recently listed, not nearly as nice in my opinion.  I think $60K would not be a stretch considering all of the junk out there selling for top dollar...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295871747941
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Joegrapes

Thanks for the feedback. I have no intention of ever selling the car and I would never pass it off as anything but what it is. I forgot to mention that the rear quarters were replaced before I got the car. All the gauges work although the tech is not that accurate and I did upgrade the clock to a modern movement. Not sure about the low fuel warning light in the overhead console. It's never come on but relay is there. When I changed it over from auto to manual I put sound deadening under the carpet. All the wiring is new. Except for the windshield all the glass is original. And I put in an Auto Custom Sound Mopar reproduction radio. Although I never listen to it. I just like the sound of the motor.