Main Menu

lower control arm paint

Started by 1970 FM3 Cuda, February 05, 2018, 05:55:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 FM3 Cuda

I am restoring my lower control arms and I need to no where to find the correct color of cosmoline, Does anyone have a paint code or a color that is already in a can ? thanks

750-h2

I got a pint from Resto Rick,  Worked great!

1 Wild R/T

First spray the arm with Seymour Stainless steel paint, it looks like raw steel....

Next after taping off the outboard end use Krylon Battery Protector to replicate Cosmoline....

1 Wild R/T

Thing is real cosmoline stays soft/sticky/gooey for years... I don't know about the stuff sold by restoration shops as cosmoline but the real stuff I worked with plenty, fact is I recently unpacked an NOS 50's vintage military part that was packed in oil paper & coated with cosmoline in 1954, it was still sticky...

Krylon Battery protector dries rock hard, it's impervious to most chemicals, it looks just like cosmoline....  I know of some high end restorers who use it over the real deal cause it's a better choice for a car that gets driven...

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on February 05, 2018, 06:30:38 PM
I just use cosmoline

If you're going to jingle can paint the lower control arm, at least do a little body work on it so it doesn't look like a piece off the ocean bottom. :notsure:  BTW, cosmoline is dipped much farther up the part then that.

HEMICUDA

Now, that there was funny Alan. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I would have removed that post also.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

I have to say, I was slightly embarrassed for you.

anlauto

Ah gees thanks, that means a lot coming from you. :worship: :cheers:

Here's another one.....This is real cosmoline and YES it stays tacky...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration