Main Menu

Lug Wrenches

Started by erik70rt, June 20, 2018, 06:09:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I thought I would post a general FYI about lug wrenches.  If you are buying a used jack, lots of times the seller will say he has the correct lug wrench when in fact he doesn't.  I am sure we all have felt some frustration when purchasing a jack and getting the wrong lug wrench.

In the attached photo there are three lug wrenches.

The wrench on the top is from an A-Body.  It has the correct angle in the bend and will fit 3/4"OD lug nuts.  It is too short in length to fit in the storage brackets in an E-Body.

The wrench in the middle is a correct E-body lug wrench.  It has the proper length and the proper angle at the bend to fit in the storage brackets.  It is also 13/16" OD to fit the lug nuts.

The bottom is from some later model.  Notice the angle is a lot less, so it will not fit in the storage brackets with the jack. 

If you are buying a used jack, I hope this little tidbit of info helps.  Don't get burned like others and myself have been over the years. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Rich G.

Nice photos. Do you have the lengths also ?

erik70rt

Burdar

Good reference!

Looks like the bottom one could be made to work pretty easily.  Heat the bend and change the angle...then cut off the other end to the correct length.  Probably wouldn't work for an OE judged build but it might work for most people. Most people just need them to "look" the part since the factory jacks aren't normally used any more.

I know I've got at least one that is a lot longer on the socket end before the bend.  That would be more difficult to modify.  I think that one was off of a mid/late 70's C-body.

RUNCHARGER

Great info! I've been lucky over the years but it is hard to know what is right after so many decades.
Sheldon

headejm

@erik70rt  My E-body reference material shows the angle should be 65 degrees, the straight length 15.5 inches, and the short length 3 inches. The middle lug wrench in your picture looks closer to 90 degrees. Could be the picture.  :notsure:

Anyway, I need a correct 1970 lug wrench for my build. Checked a few salvage yards but no luck. Any ideas where to get one?

erik70rt

Quote from: headejm on June 20, 2018, 09:14:52 AM
@erik70rt  My E-body reference material shows the angle should be 65 degrees, the straight length 15.5 inches, and the short length 3 inches. The middle lug wrench in your picture looks closer to 90 degrees. Could be the picture.  :notsure:

Anyway, I need a correct 1970 lug wrench for my build. Checked a few salvage yards but no luck. Any ideas where to get one?

What manual are you using?  65 degrees will not fit - that is about the angle of the bottom one in the pic. 

headejm

MMC Detroit restoration guide.   :lurking:

6bblgt

what e-bodies used a 13/16" lug nut?

erik70rt

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 20, 2018, 10:11:19 AM
what e-bodies used a 13/16" lug nut?

13/16" outer diameter of the 1/2" lug nuts.

erik70rt

Here are the measurements of the e-body lug wrench:

erik70rt

Compared to the measurements of the A-body lug wrench:

EV2RTSE

Terry McCann posted these pics of NOS and used e-body lug wrenches from his collection, on moparts a while ago when this topic came up, I saved them for reference.

headejm

:iagree: Those look correct.

erik70rt

I stand corrected. 

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to educate about the correct jack handles, so I learned something! Thread mission accomplished!  LOL :bradsthumb: :haha: