Main Menu

Maybe a Weird Questions / Exhaust leak???

Started by Cudajason, June 25, 2024, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Ok guys, this may be a weird question or comment, but its driving me nuts.

I have had my car out a few times in the last week, and whenever I drive it, I find I feel, off, for lack of a better term.

I think exhaust is coming int the cabin and I am sucking in the fumes. 

The other thing I find is that I can almost feel the exhaust on my skin, I feel like it sticks to me, and I feel icky after driving it.

I have manifolds and full factory style exhaust system with turndowns at the mufflers (no cut out valance).

I do not have any singes of an exhaust leak at the manifolds, not tick tick etc.  I guess it could be coming from the joints throughout the system.

Do you think that is a possibility or am I crazy.  I want to enjoy driving my car, but it's hard when you don't feel good afterwards.

Other info, I have an AF sensor and the car is not running overly rich or lean, I spent a great amount of time tunning it so it runs properly.

I was thinking that I get under it and use a muffler tape on all the joints to ensure they are sealed?

Thoughts?
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Jay Bee

I don't think you're nuts at all. No doubt you don't feel like that after driving your daily driver.

Any possible blow-by entering the cabin from the air vents. Maybe close all those (heater & fresh air) then see if it's the same.

bdschnei

Put a household CO detector in your car and see what it says.
Granted it won't pick up the hydrocarbons in the exhaust but you can usually tell they're present by their smell. Not so with CO.
Bret

MoparLeo

Why not buy a Carbon Monoxide detecter ? Aboutr $30. at the home centers.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

blown motor

What you're feeling is obviously a guilt complex caused by taking the Cuda out and not inviting your buddies to cruise along with you.  :))  Seriously, do a run with the windows up and then do one with the windows down and see if you notice any difference. If you are getting exhaust in the cabin I would think with the windows down it would be diluted to near nothing.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Huskidrive

I had the same problem with my Challenger. The exhaust was coming in from the trunk.I tried adjusting the trunk lid with no success. It turned out the repro rubber bumpers were a little to long.I cut them down and made sure the lid was tight all around the seal.....problem solved..

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

Cudajason

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Fired up the car to move it. Let it run for less than 5 min.

158 ppm and climbing. This is just at idle with the windows open. Light breeze. This is enough to set the CO2 alarm off after 10 mins. So not too good.

Sigh. Guess I better get under it and tape up the all the joints.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

Jason, how far back does the exhaust tip go? I read that you haven't got cutouts in your valance, so I'm guessing the tips are inboard of the valance? I'd tape over the trunk opening and run it, if for nothing to eliminate a variable. And I'd try your detector in the trunk itself. Does the reading grow only in the front seat? What's the reading with it in the rear seat? Good luck Sherlock.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Damn! I guess I'll have to find another way to guilt you into calling us for a run. Hey, glad you're getting it solved. The CO2 tester idea is a good one.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Racer57

Sounds like the fumes might be coming into your trunk. Maybe have your turndowns should be straight ?

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on June 25, 2024, 06:40:43 PMDamn! I guess I'll have to find another way to guilt you into calling us for a run. Hey, glad you're getting it solved. The CO2 tester idea is a good one.

well just asking me would likely be enough.  Seriously though, let me get this fixed and we can plan something.

Quote from: jimynick on June 25, 2024, 06:39:53 PMJason, how far back does the exhaust tip go? I read that you haven't got cutouts in your valance, so I'm guessing the tips are inboard of the valance? I'd tape over the trunk opening and run it, if for nothing to eliminate a variable. And I'd try your detector in the trunk itself. Does the reading grow only in the front seat? What's the reading with it in the rear seat? Good luck Sherlock.  :cheers:

the tips stick out a couple of inches under the valance.  The trunk seal is new, I had to pull the trunk open the other day as the sela was pretty stuck.

I wonder if it is coming up through the joints in the taillight panel...all that sealant is pretty old.  I am just surprised how quickly the Co2 monitor registered Co2 after starting the car.  Seems like it would need some time to come up through the car.

I will move the meter to the back seat tonight when I fire it back up.

Quote from: Racer57 on June 25, 2024, 08:30:07 PMSounds like the fumes might be coming into your trunk. Maybe have your turndowns should be straight ?

There is no room to run them Stright. the turn downs come right of the mufflers.  the only way to change it would be to run the cut out valence.