Main Menu

Mecum Auction Chicago

Started by JH27N0B, October 26, 2019, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I went and checked out the Mecum Chicago Auction yesterday (actually in Schaumburg IL which is only 5 or 6 miles from my house).  There were a number of interesting collections there.  I wasn't blown away by most of the Mopars there this year, lots of clones or recreations or whatever term you prefer E bodies.  A hemi Coronet convertible and a V code Superbird were probably the rarest Mopars there.  A highly optioned 71 cuda was the most interesting E body, supposedly very low miles but had been restored.  I was confused by why they painted the 383 blue though? There was a V code Challenger too, but it was color changed from F8 to FJ5 and not an especially high quality car.
Here are pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157711511760491
I noticed the number of people there was huge, both bidders and spectators.  That certainly would suggest the interest in vintage cars is still strong!
My friend from work won the '47 Diamond T truck today.  It will be interesting to see if he drives it to work next week!

Cuda Cody

I think when most people see the quality of the cars that go over the block at auctions they are not normally impressed.

JH27N0B

Some are, some aren't.  I've been going to auctions for many years and seen a lot of great cars and a lot that are far from great ones.  I bought my '71 at an auction, and it's a great car. 
Like most everything, it's a case of buyer beware.

Shoooter

Do you think clones and lower end cars like 318 ect are going to be more popular going across the block? I know high end cars will always have buyers but the average person like most people can only afford those in today's market. I wonder if they will start to bring good money once everything dries up

usraptor

Thanks for the pics.  :bigthumb:  I've always wanted to attend one of those to see the cars (great car show) and to see how the cars actually look in person. I saw that V-code Challenger sell and was amazed at the low price for a numbers matching car when it looked so good on TV.  Now I understand why it sold so cheap.

kdcarman

"A hemi Coronet convertible and a V code Superbird were probably the rarest Mopars there.  A highly optioned 71 cuda was the most interesting E body, supposedly very low miles but had been restored.  I was confused by why they painted the 383 blue though? There was a V code Challenger too, but it was color changed from F8 to FJ5 and not an especially high quality car."

I was there yesterday as well.  The Hemi Coronet and Superbird were really nice.  I was wondering about the V code Challenger and why it not sell for any money.  Now I know.

Did you have a look at the 70 Charger RT that did not pull any money?

AARCONV

Anyone record Thursdays Mecum? I heard my cuda picture showed up on it, looking for the video of it

6pack

I do not care for Mecum.  They do there best to hide the fakes and clones.  It is buyer beware big time.  Barret seems to be much better on leveling the pedigree of a car.  But they are both popular.  I spoke to many people over the years that got burned from Mecum also.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 6pack on October 29, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
I do not care for Mecum.  They do there best to hide the fakes and clones.  It is buyer beware big time.  Barret seems to be much better on leveling the pedigree of a car.  But they are both popular.  I spoke to many people over the years that got burned from Mecum also.

:deadhorse: Burned by Mecum here. Won't buy another car but still enjoy going to the auction in Harrisburg each year.