Main Menu

I’m tired of shifting gears TOSG

Started by Cudakiller70, August 10, 2018, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

The skip shift eliminator was the first mod I done when I got my YJ. Install less than 5 minutes not including jacking up the car. I enjoy my 6 speed especially now with the Barton short shifter. I think the 6.4 torque curve makes it less shifting than the 5.7. I mostly go from 1 to 3 skipping 2. I seldomly shift to 6 unless long drive on freeway.

Lately trans developed some rattling noise and I think I broke either the motor mounts or the trans mount. Noise comes after a hard right turn and goes away after a hard left. I have not have time to jack it up to check. Too busy with the 73.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cudakiller70

Some of you are just too shifty....  :haha:

Thanks @GoodysGotaCuda that's something to think about.

Brads70

I thought as some have mentioned, so I went with the A41 Keisler transmission kit ( GM 4L60)  I usually shift it manually but can just leave it in drive also. Now that being said I just bought a T56 for a future project....  I had a 86 Buick GN clone with a 455/4 speed. Fun to drive but not so much in traffic. It would be nice to have another car with a stick though I must admit!

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Brads70 on August 11, 2018, 06:33:46 PM
I thought as some have mentioned, so I went with the A41 Keisler transmission kit ( GM 4L60)  I usually shift it manually but can just leave it in drive also. Now that being said I just bought a T56 for a future project....  I had a 86 Buick GN clone with a 455/4 speed. Fun to drive but not so much in traffic. It would be nice to have another car with a stick though I must admit!
Hmmm..
Have that trans in a daily driver, works well, pulled a lot of stuff no problems. Would give OD as well.
Did you have to mod the trans tunnel @Brads70 ? If you had to  do it again anything different? What to watch for, key points of install?
Thanks

Cudakiller70

Rowing through the gears and winding up this 340 is fun, but it's a smaller part of the fun driving this car. Want to go places and do stuff with this car. So comfort is moving up the list. Man I need some cup holders too. As well as AC and now fitech or Holley to add to the list for reliability. Most of my cars were manuals and no AC in my younger years. Kinda getting old, maybe well see.

gzig5

I'll trade you my 727 straight up. 

Cudakiller70

Cudakiller70

Hmmm .... throw in some cup holders ... maybe

Brads70

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on August 14, 2018, 12:32:12 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on August 11, 2018, 06:33:46 PM
Hmmm..
Have that trans in a daily driver, works well, pulled a lot of stuff no problems. Would give OD as well.
Did you have to mod the trans tunnel @Brads70 ? If you had to  do it again anything different? What to watch for, key points of install?
Thanks
The only mods that I remember was a rubber hammer to the trans tunnel seam at the firewall in a couple of places. Just had to fold it over some. I'm using simple shift for the trans controller, works ok but I wonder if something better is available now? It would be nice to have the ability to switch one knob for a "track setting" instead of having to switch a bunch of switches. I still miss rowing the gears of a manual though, not gonna lie. I went with the stage 3 kit ( built for the  highest HP/torque level) and with that it comes with a deep oil pan for the transmission which did concern me how low it hangs but I've never hit anything, speed bumps etc... I hid the trans controller in the ash tray area...