Main Menu

Started by Chryco Psycho, February 23, 2018, 04:52:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

71-440

:unbelievable:

I can't imagine going 200+ MPH.
I ran a viper in my '09 and let off the gas when my heart was pounding through my chest. (And I think that's all she had.)
When we stopped I asked the viper, a buddy of mine,  how fast we were going
he said 145. That was a blast.

200+ WOW!

MOPAR BABY!!!
Joe

Dakota

I wish I had something more profound to say than "wow", but I can't come up with it.  Unfreaking believable.   I have to imagine that driver must've felt like he was walking if he drove that car home at highway speed.

Bullitt-

While I'm amazed at what folks can do these days with enough money & technology these days I'm still more impressed with the ride I took in '71 as a 12-year old in my Dad's best friend's '67 GTX burying the 150MPH speedo (accurate? who know's)  .... that didn't take anywhere near a minute.   :woohoo:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

That sure looks fun! I must admit though I be a little concerned about the tires and aerodynamics at that speed. Not a chance you could come anywhere close to that in a stock bodied 70-74 E-Body. 

7212Mopar

Somehow you don't feel the speed in the new cars as much as the old. May be the sensation of noise and vibration.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RzeroB

Quote from: 7212Mopar on February 24, 2018, 07:41:38 AM
Somehow you don't feel the speed in the new cars as much as the old. May be the sensation of noise and vibration.

Spot on right there 7212! The old iron was a crude, unrefined and a lot more visceral compared to today's well refined stuff.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

What you have to keep in mind is that these cars are 49years old in 6 months or so , we have only been building cars 120 years + /- !!
SO are cars were rwlatively advanced for 50 years ago & there was only 70 years before them so I would expect the new cars to be much more refined !
Too bad the speed limits have not changed in 50 years given all the technology .

Brads70

:iagree: but I'm observing people ( more so young women  :vipermanhiding:)  seem to drive to the ability of the technology, not the driving ability of the driver. They fly right up to the back of other cars, slam on the brakes at the last second, drive too fast around corners, tailgate, etc.... add in a little snow etc... and disaster ensues,  if it wasn't for better tire technology , better handling cars, better brakes people wouldn't drive like that so much.  I think higher speed limits would sure trim up/thin out the gene pool some.....

RUNCHARGER

I have to agree with that. People have always been stupid but the better cars get the stupider the average driver has become. Most of them have no idea how to control a skid, how to soft pedal the accelerator or the brake pedal for that matter.
For me driving is one of the few joys in life, but for most people it is an inconvenience.
Sheldon

blown motor

Quote from: Brads70 on February 24, 2018, 12:53:08 PM
:iagree: but I'm observing people ( more so young women  :vipermanhiding:)  seem to drive to the ability of the technology, not the driving ability of the driver. They fly right up to the back of other cars, slam on the brakes at the last second, drive too fast around corners, tailgate, etc.... 

It would seem you saw my daughter driving when she went to college in Barrie!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Try explaining to the Officer why you were doing 148 mph over the posted speed limit.... :o  :sorry:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

Some would say antilock brakes, traction control and stability control  on new cars are for people that don't know how to drive. But i say that it saved me from troubles a few times. My eyesight and reaction are still good but not like when I was in my 20's. I plan to drive my old mopar on sunny days and day time only.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 24, 2018, 12:43:39 PM
Too bad the speed limits have not changed in 50 years given all the technology .
:iagree:
With the technology and crash testing, crumple zones (e-body only has the steering wheel can), responsive suspension, selectable traction control, yaw control, etc, I think hwy speed limits should be revisited. If you could do 60mph on a hwy in an ebody in 1970, newer cars should be able to do it at 80mph and still be a safer ride.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

EPA wouldn't go for higher speeds. It burns more fuel.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel