Main Menu

Need advice designing a route with 1/2 fuel line on an E-body

Started by Convertcuda, March 13, 2017, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Convertcuda

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to design a route with 1/2" fuel line on an e-body. The line needs to be made with stainless and will be made with a state of the art line bender that makes any bend perfect. I did a lot of research can't seem to find much information on the topic. These lines will run to a 800 horsepower fuel injected Hemi.  I'm looking for ideas that other have tried. Looking to do a professional job. Please post pictures or ideas or suggestions. Thanks for any help.

Ken

convertcuda@gmail.com

jimynick

My best suggestion would be to call someone like Inline Tubing and order one of their 3/8" pre-bent fuel lines and using that $100 part as a template, use that hi-tech bender you mentioned to duplicate it in 1/2" SS. Then, having saved the box and noted the shipping bend, email me and we'll talk about my buying your no longer needed template. See. win-win. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I agree, just use the other one as a template. We ended up using braided line on this one in the stock location and that worked pretty well. What are you doing for a fuel pump and where will it be?
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

The template idea is good.  You can also ask them to bend you 1/2" line.  Since they have the program all ready, they might be able to do it pretty easy?   :notsure:

soundcontrol

Following since I'm gonna do the same soon.  :popcorn:
I saved my stock 3/8 line for a template, but I got the advise to follow the right subframe connector instead of the rocker panel now, since I installed subframe connectors. But I guess I can use it for most bends.
Are you gonna run a return line also?

Convertcuda

Thanks for the info so far guys. We are going with the tanks inc tank and I forget the company that makes the tank top deals that goes on the tank. I got those great recommendations from a guy on this site. He was right nice stuff. My plan so far I think is to make a nice appearing oval through the rear shock crossmember and bend the correct curves and go down the center of the car. I would run both lines this way, but I was concerned about heat. I think there is enough room that I could make  this look factory. 1/2 in bend look pretty aggressive going around the back end of the car like the factory did. I have been getting mixed reviews on running 3/8 and 1/2. One place says 1/2" the next says 3/8".  Engine will be carbureted and making 800 horse. Tim Bannings (FHO) is building the 572 for me.

Convertcuda

Here's the awesome Tanks Inc.  Thinking about redesigning the fuel pump cap so it can except bigger line. The design right now is only 1/4" which I found to restrictive. What do you guys think? Would it be nice to 3/8" or 1/2" coming out right away.

soundcontrol

Hmm, I was recommeded a 1/2 fuel line, did not know the pump only had a 1/4" connection, got the Tanks Inc tank and the GPA4 pump. I wonder if it matters...? Why run large fuel lines when there is a bottle neck in the pump?  :notsure:

Btw, are you making an access door or so in the trunk so you can get to the pump if needed? Was thinking of doing that.
Roadman and ToxicWolf did a nice one here:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/deals-coupons-vendor-specials-and-product-reviews/16/tanks-inc-fuel-tanks-for-fuel-injection-product-review/570/msg10366#msg10366

Cuda Cody

I wish I knew for sure what size to tell you would work best.  Maybe @Chryco Psycho has some thoughts? 

I would think with a good pump that the 3/8" would be enough?  :notsure:

Brads70

I used 1/2" stainless hard line  and PTFE line all with -8AN fittings throughout.Return line is same size.
Also where near exhaust I used rubber heat sleeve. I used a Mallory electric fuel pump and regulator.
I tend to overbuild stuff as I hate doing it twice. 
https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-810-6-8AN
http://www.frozenboost.com/stainless-steel-teflon-fuel-lines/an--8-stainless-steel-hoses-p-1241.html

Convertcuda

This is a great discussion. I'm am making the door but it will look factory not after market. My thoughts exactly why make the input leads .25. You would think that the fuel pump would have to push harder and heat up fuel. This is why i posed this questions. Most salesmen just want you to buy but I want it to function correctly and Im willing to pay up. Any more pics up by the rear crossmember?

soundcontrol

Quote from: Convertcuda on March 14, 2017, 07:38:34 PM
This is a great discussion. I'm am making the door but it will look factory not after market. My thoughts exactly why make the input leads .25. You would think that the fuel pump would have to push harder and heat up fuel. This is why i posed this questions. Most salesmen just want you to buy but I want it to function correctly and Im willing to pay up. Any more pics up by the rear crossmember?

Please post picture of that door later, wanna se how you do it. I just might go with 3/8" since I don't have that much HP to feed. (6.1 Hemi).

RUNCHARGER

I made a little door for the Cuda, I may do a better, larger one for it. I was surprised by the small outlet fittings on the pump as well but I still used large line, no problems so far. With the large lines and tight quarters it's so much easier to do the final attachment of lines to pump through the access door up top.
Sheldon