Main Menu

Need some opinions on what to do with my vert.

Started by js27, June 17, 2018, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

As some of you may know I am selling my parts collection and my 2 cars due to health reasons. I put both my cars on the website Cars On Line and I sold my 67 GTX in 4 days and had 3 serious cash buyers lined up but the 1st guy sent me a check for full asking price. I never thought the GTX would sell before my Challenger. The Challenger got about 50 more hits a day and had a few inquiries but nothing serious.  I figure it is because the GTX was all number and date code matching and the price was $38,500. but my Challenger's original 383 motor and trans were gone when I got it. I restored the car to the original color and interior but built a 440 for it with all day 2 mods. So my question is do you think it would sell faster with a correct F-383-HP redone to stock spec and bring more money ?? The car is a rust free Calif car with all original body panels. I am asking $65,000.00 for it now. I have 2 F-383-HP motors lined up one is a Oct build date and the other is a April build date. My car was built Nov 20th. Do you think it would really matter which motor I choose since it will not be the original anyway??

Chryco Psycho

You will be spending good $$ after bad , you will not get a dime more with a different 383  IMO , non numbers is still non numbers no matter what the date code is .
I would just keep it & enjoy when you can  :alan2cents:

6bblgt

$38K is easier for most to spend VS $65K

IMO
I don't think the 440 is hurting sales, everybody wants more cu.in. (the visual difference is minimal)
**** I don't think you'd recoup any funds spent to modify the drivetrain (more investment, less return)
the orange & tan leather might not be helping
**** & with the non-mainline color combo I believe the non-stock appearance items hurt VS. help
**** do you have stock manifolds, valve covers, air cleaner?

that being said, I'd run it on eBay for a week with your reserve & see what it bids to, to determine how far pricewise from a real buyer you may be
**** you just need more eyes on it to find an interested party that likes the combination  :drinkingbud: it looks like a quality build!

js27

No I do not have any stock pieces--I even thought about throwing a six pack on it but no sure that would help but would rather not. I was offered $45,000.00 by Rick Hendricks but I know he is just going to flip it so that offer was wholesale. I think retail would be 55-60.
Thanks for your input.
AL

js27

I would love to but that is not in the cards right now. I am trying to make life easier for my wife in case things go bad for me.
Thanks for your opinion and have heard the same thing about if it is not the original motor it doesn't matter what motor is in it as far as value goes--except of course Hemi clone 318 cars.
Thanks
AL

DodgeGuy

Quote from: js27 on June 17, 2018, 12:58:02 PM
I would love to but that is not in the cards right now. I am trying to make life easier for my wife in case things go bad for me.
Thanks for your opinion and have heard the same thing about if it is not the original motor it doesn't matter what motor is in it as far as value goes--except of course Hemi clone 318 cars.
Thanks
AL

Just wanted to throw in, if you DO decide to take out the 440 for a 383, and you're looking to sell the built 440, then let me know.  I might be putting a 440 in my '74 Challenger and would be very interested in hearing about your motor.

Either way Good Luck with your sale and your health!!
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Brads70

Wish I had the funds, beautiful car. Good luck with the sale!

BIGSHCLUNK

NIKKI was also a 383 car but a HEMI when I bought her. I think its just the higher in dollars the less the possible buyers. 65k vs 38k is a BIG jump. Great looking ride BTW. Anyway I've had cars on carsonline that took months to sell..... but they all did eventually. My Pontiac was the last one, we were counting money on the trunk before the guys even heard her run. But it took awhile....  :notsure:   

headejm

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 17, 2018, 12:42:52 PM
You will be spending good $$ after bad , you will not get a dime more with a different 383  IMO , non numbers is still non numbers no matter what the date code is .

:iagree: The motor shouldn't make a difference on the sale. It's a beautiful car but the asking price is close to what a numbers matching driveline would be.

Chryco Psycho

You can always throw a F code 383 block in with the sale to sweeten the deal if someone else wants to spend the $$ to make it more correct .
I would rather have the car with the 440 over a non #s 383 but I am about 65k short

js27

Quote from: headejm on June 17, 2018, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 17, 2018, 12:42:52 PM

:iagree: The motor shouldn't make a difference on the sale. It's a beautiful car but the asking price is close to what a numbers matching driveline would be.
I have seen a 383 70 R/T Vert on ebay with non matching numbers with a price tag of 97,000. I thought I was pretty close to a fair price for a RUST FREE 70 vert.

torredcuda

I agree with the others that thee are a lot more buyers at under $40k than at $65k, 440 doesn`t hurt it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

Since you asked for "opinions".....and everybody has one.... ;)

I think it may sell at your asking price, but it will take a looooong time and a lot of patience. I think it's over priced by at least $15K.

...and here's why....

Once you "brink" that $50K ridge of asking price....you dive into a different buying public. You're now dealing with investors and collectors who are only buying the "best of the best"  Personally I do think it would sell easier in that upper price range if it had the correct dated 383 with all the correct details, no aftermarket "hot rod" parts, correct wheels....meaning PolyGlas tires etc....etc...Buyers in this price range are looking for correctness, documentation, high level of restoration etc...

Buyers who are looking for a "cool" car to have fun with, the kind that prefer a 440 especially with a six pack.....are the type of buyers that aren't capable or willing to spend of $50K on a toy....I think the guy that offered you $45K is pretty close to the mark, he might try to flip it, but would have a hard time making much money on a quick flip....

I agree with what's been suggested....try EBay with your $65K reserve...see how high the bidding goes...fortunately if you don't have shill bidders working with you, that will give you a pretty good indication of what the general market is willing to pay.... Run it a few times if you have to, and take the average  :dunno:

I've seen 1970 383 Challenger convertible advertised for a lot more as well....are they selling ? I don't know, I don't really follow their market. What I do know is that the Challenger convertible falls way behind the Cuda, especially the 1971 Cuda convertible as far as desirability  :alan2cents:

If you truly feel the value is there, then just wait it out....as they say, there's a butt for every seat.... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

I would rather see a stock appearing engine and engine compartment whether it's 383 or 440.

JH27N0B

I'm sorry you are not getting interest in your beautiful car.  It dies seem to be a picky market in recent times!
I'd agree that in that price range buyers would want a stock appearance under the hood, and correct wheels.  Even as it is, I don't think it's that far above market, maybe 50s?