Main Menu

New here. Found interesting tag

Started by Nepagarage, November 16, 2021, 05:48:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Nepagarage

I made a profile a while ago but haven't been active. About 4 years ago, I picked up a 1970 base challenger, 318, auto. Pretty much a basket case needs every horizontal piece of sheet metal plus the whole cowl/firewall. Already have most of the metal I need but am just getting started on the project.  Anyway, when I was out there today cutting out the remainder of the floor, I found a metal tag loose. The tag is like the type you'd find attached to the bottom of a seat frame except the only stamping on it is a full name an exact street address out of Greenville SC. My guess is this is the original owners name and address, but is this something the factory or dealer did? Or just an owner getting a tag made for, I don't know, a key chain or something?

cuda hunter

:needphotos:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Filthy Filbert

Sounds like something a prior owner did.  Or a local dealer did for the first owner.  I've never heard of a factory made 'tag' with an owners name/address.

Maybe take a picture and write a letter, send them to that address and see what happens

7E-Bodies

Sounds interesting. Can you post a pic of it?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Nepagarage

The only reason I hadn't posted a pic of it originally was because it has the guys full name and address. I know he could be passed away by now, or at least moved. Just didn't seem right to post up his info. I bought the car out of NC where it had sat since at least 1986 based on the inspection sticker.

captcolour

You could post a pic with the name blacked-out.  People are asking to see the style of tag and not the information on the tag.

mccannix

Complete name and address and being loose, sounds like something a paranoid owner had made up and slid under there in case his car was ever stolen.... proof of ownership purposes

HP2

Many counties in the US maintain property ownership records in their assessors office and many places provide access to these records because they are public. You could always do a search in that county to see if the person/family still lives there.  If they don't live there any longer, you may also be able to search the name in the same database to see if they have relocated.

Otherwise, I would agree with others that this was not a factory thing, but very well could have been a dealer or owner effort.

Mopsquad

These ID tags were fairly popular in the 60's and early 70's as an aftermarket or dealer novelty item.

7E-Bodies

Hardly a worthless thread. I wish I'd have found something like that in my 70 RT. Any clues to a car's history are priceless.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

v194

Quote from: Nepagarage on November 16, 2021, 05:48:46 PM
The tag is like the type you'd find attached to the bottom of a seat frame except the only stamping on it is a full name an exact street address out of Greenville SC.

I live the town next to Greenville.  What is the street he lives/lived on?