Main Menu

New reproduction items shown at MCACN!

Started by JH27N0B, November 16, 2018, 09:03:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

ECS had their new reproduction trunk mats on display at MCACN today!  We've been begging for a decent trunk mat for ever!  Looked really good to me.  They are taking preorders and expect to ship first quarter of 2019.  Will likely be priced around $175.  I put in my preorder today!
And Rusty Smalls had the new radial Polyglas 70 series tire on display.  It's not going to be F70x14, it will be FR70X14.  And they didn't try to make the tread look like bias ply.
It's sort of a hybrid tire I guess, a radial with vintage type markings.

jimynick

Glad to see you're happy about, as mentioned, a decent trunk mat. Too bad the same can't be said for the price! $175 for a trunk mat,  :looney:? They must think everybody who has one of these cars is rich and/or crazy. I understand that there's a layout to produce things, but Henry Ford's idea of making things less expensive and selling a lot more of them seems to have slipped their minds. I DO like the tires and hope they'll sell well. There, I feel better now.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

autoxcuda

I'm more impressed with the trunk mat than the tires.

I know the mat is expensive. But disregarding price, at least it meets or exceeds the expectations of buyers. And has features way above any other similar products

The tire is totally half-@ssed.

3 things buyers wanted:
1) Authentic looking lettering
2) Square shouldered authentic looking Radial tire for better driving
3) And desiresble sizes

But end product is:

1) has a "R" added to lettering. Might as well misspell Goodyear.
2) the tread shoulder looks radial
3) they display a 14" tire. The product is not for the 110% OE judged crowd. And that crowd typically upgrades to 15" versions of stock rims. Lead with most popular stuff.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

That tire looks absolutely terrible in my opinion, they really dropped the ball on that one :barf: I will not be putting them on any of my cars and will do my best to talk my customer's out of them as well.

Now an ECS trunk mat will be as good as it gets, and $175 was pretty much to be expected .... have you see the price of their exhaust ?

I agree...at $175, most people will likely pass....if so,they will still likely sell hundreds of them, when if they were priced around $80-$100/each they would sell thousands.....I hope they really put some research into the market.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I think the trunk mat is a slam dunk, kudos to ECS for FINALLY making these after years of everyone begging for a good mat. I wish they were cheaper, I'd have ordered 3 instead of 1. But as my late father used to say, the pleasure remains when the price is forgotten!  I'm reminded of when Mopar came out with 15X7 trim rings after we'd been griping for years about the ones on the market.  OMG I'm not paying $80 for a trim ring!  The stamping is off by 1/100" of an inch!  Moan and groan...
A couple years later they discontinued them, and now we are back to griping about the very poor ones on the market...
I'm a bit disappointed in the tires.  I need 70 series new tires for my convertible, and I'm bored of seeing radial T/As on 3/4s of the cars out there (and I'm sure I'm stepping on the toes of 3/4s of members saying that, sorry!) I drive that car a lot in the fair weather months and bias ply polyglas just doesn't make me happy with our rutted roads here.  Therefore I was really excited when I heard that Kelsey was doing something like the Coker Firestone wide oval repro radials.
So I have to decide which is the better of 2 choices that aren't optimum, do I put Firestones on my car or the new FR70s?  :thinking:  Radial T/As or Coopers just aren't going to work for me.

anlauto

In that case I would likely buy the new Goodyear over the Firestone only because Mopar never used Firestone on their muscle cars. None of the four tires you mentioned are correct, so choose the one that is the least IN-correct...  :looney: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

It's like voting in the election a few weeks ago, you have to hold your nose and decide on the best between 2 bad choices!  :looney:

73chalngr

EBuddy reproduction prices are high because so few of them were made  .  Not like Camaros and mustangs everybody's got those ,like bellybuttons and butt holes everybody's got one .

RUNCHARGER

The tire misses the mark totally. Other mats are cheaper so you have a choice there, price or correctness.
Sheldon

autoxcuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 17, 2018, 04:43:07 AM
I think the trunk mat is a slam dunk, kudos to ECS for FINALLY making these after years of everyone begging for a good mat. I wish they were cheaper, I'd have ordered 3 instead of 1. But as my late father used to say, the pleasure remains when the price is forgotten!  I'm reminded of when Mopar came out with 15X7 trim rings after we'd been griping for years about the ones on the market.  OMG I'm not paying $80 for a trim ring!  The stamping is off by 1/100" of an inch!  Moan and groan...
A couple years later they discontinued them, and now we are back to griping about the very poor ones on the market...
I'm a bit disappointed in the tires.  I need 70 series new tires for my convertible, and I'm bored of seeing radial T/As on 3/4s of the cars out there (and I'm sure I'm stepping on the toes of 3/4s of members saying that, sorry!) I drive that car a lot in the fair weather months and bias ply polyglas just doesn't make me happy with our rutted roads here.  Therefore I was really excited when I heard that Kelsey was doing something like the Coker Firestone wide oval repro radials.
So I have to decide which is the better of 2 choices that aren't optimum, do I put Firestones on my car or the new FR70s?  :thinking:  Radial T/As or Coopers just aren't going to work for me.

An idea...

In the high end custom hot rod world they buff the lettering off the tires...

Well, you can do that to the black sidewall side of a BFG or more reasonably priced Cooper radial....

Then buy custom cut glue on letters for polyglas. The material and product quality looks pretty good on the ricer crowd stuff.

Some sticker examples:

https://tredwear.com/product/billboard-tire-letter-kit/

https://www.carid.com/tire-stickers/tire-stickers-vintage-red-line-full-tire-decal-kit-701562833.html

Install vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M17-45O-ybE

Smoothing Tire Sidewalls:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/smooth-blackwall-tire-sidewalls.378955/

Video of same concept: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwevOfIUqA
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

.....or you could just drive on the PolyGlas  :alan2cents:

autoxcuda

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on November 17, 2018, 08:31:42 AM

I think @autoxcuda's point was the Poly's are almost triple the price of a Cooper Cobra, and arguable do not handle as well. So to get the look of a Poly that a lot of guys like, save money and have a better road tire install the stickers.  I have seen some with stickers in person and they look ok from 10' but are not for me.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 16, 2018, 09:03:14 PM
ECS had their new reproduction trunk mats on display at MCACN today!  We've been begging for a decent trunk mat for ever!  Looked really good to me.  They are taking preorders and expect to ship first quarter of 2019.  Will likely be priced around $175.  I put in my preorder today!

Did you see Dave Waldon at the show ?

autoxcuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 17, 2018, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: anlauto on November 17, 2018, 08:31:42 AM

I think @autoxcuda's point was the Poly's are almost triple the price of a Cooper Cobra, and arguable do not handle as well. So to get the look of a Poly that a lot of guys like, save money and have a better road tire install the stickers.  I have seen some with stickers in person and they look ok from 10' but are not for me.

I think removing the existing lettering is the key a non-ghetto look.

1st two pics are one guy. 2nd three pics are another guy.