Main Menu

70 Overhead Consollete help need, please

Started by jlemler, November 28, 2020, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

I have a 70 Cuda with the hardboard headliner and overhead consollete option.  I am getting to replace the original headliner with a replacement.  I need the clips/bolts that hold the consollete on to the headliner.  What do they look like and where can I get some. Please any help.
Jeff

1 Wild R/T

First question, does your console have the receiver pockets still?  The attaching bolts have a U clip attached to the head of the bolts.... I've never seen a repo so as usual your either searching for hard to find parts or you'll need to adapt something....

BTW the receiver pockets are the same as the pockets on E body door panels that the spring clips slip into...

You could probably make something starting with six of these...
https://www.mcmaster.com/91223A321/

And a U clip with the bolt head trapped within the U.....

screamindriver

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: screamindriver on November 28, 2020, 05:54:27 PM

Do you actually have one in you possession? I think the bolts are 8-32 but they could be 10-24... And measurements would make it easier to duplicate.... 

R/T's 4 R/P

I am diving into a recent SE project, as well so could use help in understanding how the console attaches.
Where Do the stud go?
Does anyone have close up pictures of the backside with all the hardware in place?
When installing the console I presume the headliner is all fastened in place and the console then attaches into the headliner panel, correct?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Chryco Psycho

I glued the headliner material to the board first then attached the console to the board yes .

anlauto

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on November 29, 2020, 06:38:50 AM

When installing the console I presume the headliner is all fastened in place and the console then attaches into the headliner panel, correct?

I think it's the other way around, you bolt the consolette to the headliner panel, then raise everything in place. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on November 29, 2020, 07:29:08 AM
Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on November 29, 2020, 06:38:50 AM

I think it's the other way around, you bolt the consolette to the headliner panel, then raise everything in place. :thinking:

Yup....

EV2RTSE

Here are a few more pictures of the attaching hardware -

EV2RTSE

The ground wire from the dome lamp attaches to that stud on the console.

R/T's 4 R/P

Thanks.
That's very helpful.  I am missing about as much as I have.
What insulation is best to use against the roof, between the headliner and the roof?
Do you have a picture of the wire routing on for the console? Who reproduces that harness?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

EV2RTSE

I'd be interested in hearing about insulation suggestions as well, I would guess anything used would have to be on the thin side.  :dunno:

Year One has the wiring harnesses -
https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/challenger.cuda/electrical/harnesses/overhead-console-harness-challenger,-cuda

Diagram found at Hamtramck-Historical.com-
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/serviceHighlights/70%20sh%2081.jpg

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: EV2RTSE on November 29, 2020, 12:23:42 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about insulation suggestions as well, I would guess anything used would have to be on the thin side.  :dunno:

The original insulation was 1/2" thick jute.. It wasn't very effective but it was cheap....  These days there are far superior products... Personally I like DEI U/C Lite.. It's super effective at rejecting heat & very good at noise damping..

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-050113-Absorption-Insulation/dp/B008NF84J8

The link is for a 70" x 72" piece, it's more than you need but I'd use the rest on the firewall..

screamindriver

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 28, 2020, 05:59:45 PM

Do you actually have one in you possession? I think the bolts are 8-32 but they could be 10-24... And measurements would make it easier to duplicate....
I've got a few...Finding them is probably not an easy task at this time.. I'm in the middle of reorganizing for easier access...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: screamindriver on November 29, 2020, 06:36:52 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 28, 2020, 05:59:45 PM

I've got a few...Finding them is probably not an easy task at this time.. I'm in the middle of reorganizing for easier access...

I've been re-organizing for fifteen years.... I know a few guys who have beautifully organized shops.... But they never do any work sooooooo....