Main Menu

Non-R/T 71 340 Challenger - Adding Stripes

Started by Floyd, May 10, 2019, 05:57:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I have a non-R/T 340 Challenger that is coded for the standard 71 Challenger body side paint stripe (V7W) and I'm debating putting them back on the car. They've never been on as long as I have had it (1980) and I'm used to the solid-black look. I have steelies on it now but will probably put the original Rallyes back on soon.  Disregard the side scoops, I added them back when I first got the car before I knew any better....

Does anyone have any good pictures of original cars with that style stripe? I have the engineering drawings but want to see what they look like in the wild.

What do you guys think? You don't see them very often.

If I add them, my inclination would be to paint them on as original but I guess I could go with adhesive pin stripes (in case I don't like them).

Thanks

303 Mopar

I think the steelies look fantastic, seems everyone has Rallyes.  I think your car looks great as is, but the white stripe would pop for sure.

Floyd

Here's how it looks with Rallyes.

RUNCHARGER

I like the look with the rallyes. I remember when the cars were new that quite a few had that stripe and I liked it, the only thing is they would be a bit too vivid on a black car. They were painted on as I recall.
Sheldon

superdave

It's kind of difficult to see but I believe this is what you are talking about... posted by 1wildR/T I believe. 8) I think it looks great.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Pretty sure the stripe ended at the 1/4 windows and it was twin lines, very thin. Each were 1/16 or 1/8 max.
Sheldon

Floyd

Quote from: anlauto on May 10, 2019, 07:16:22 AM
1000 times better with Rallyes  :twothumbsup:

Yeah, I'm ready to go back.  Rallyes look right with the wheel well trim, chrome mirrors, argent bubble, etc.

The pin stripes are pretty subtle but they make it look a little too busy.

JH27N0B

Quote from: superdave on May 10, 2019, 07:13:42 AM
It's kind of difficult to see but I believe this is what you are talking about... posted by 1wildR/T I believe. 8) I think it looks great.
That is incorrect on a '70, the pinstripe option on a '70 ran along the belt line.  The car pictured is a sister car to my convertible a few VINs away, and also has V7W, I think he corrected it later.
The 71 stripe does end at the quarter window.  On my friends 71, which is GA4, the black pinstripe is subtle, doesn't jump out on you.
I'm not sure how white on a black car like Bruces would look, might stick out too much.

340challconvert

Your Challenger in black looks GREAT. Love that color on a Challenger
Have you considered using a black side stripe?  (non-RT) it would be factory and is available in gloss and matt black. 

Matt black would contrast with the shine of the black paint, and be more subtle than a white stripe, yet look pretty cool.
There were black Mopars that came with factory black stripes.

I also am a rallye wheel fan; have you considered using the 71 center caps for the the wheels? They are a little darker then the 70 caps and better match the "black theme of your car" (see the difference in the 71 black Challenger below)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-QG-509-1971-DODGE-CHALLENGER-UPPER-BODY-SIDE-STRIPE-KIT-NO-R-T-LOGO-/122265591878
Just my thoughts!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340challconvert

Also found a picture of a 71 RT in black w a white RT stripe and shaker
Your car would look similar using the non-RT stripe in white.
Interesting look. 

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible