Main Menu

Not sure whether I should laugh, or cry...

Started by Cudajason, June 16, 2018, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

or punch myself if the head for being so stupid.

So got my new exhaust on, but had to modify the muffs for turndowns, no cut outs on my rear valence. I thought I had done a good job, untill i bent down at the rear of the car today and found the paint cracked on the rear valance on one side and the paint bubbling on the other side.

I guess the turndowns are not long enough. I knew the were a little short, but I thoght I would be ok, never thought it would bake the paint like that!!!

Oh well, guess I will by the proper mufflers, strip and prime the valence for now.  :pullinghair:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

reading the title, I thought your daughter drove the car into the garage again .... :o :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Luckily that's not a hard fix.  But why is there rust under the paint?  Do you think it was chipped for awhile and the exhaust condensation was making it rust?

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on June 16, 2018, 10:54:36 AM
reading the title, I thought your daughter drove the car into the garage again .... :o :haha: :haha: :haha:

It's not funny when it happens to you!   :o   :o    :o    :dunno:
Keep yer foot in it

Jay Bee

Oh well, just another job to get to. Here's a picture of my turndowns and someone else's car.

Cudajason

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 16, 2018, 11:03:59 AM
Luckily that's not a hard fix.  But why is there rust under the paint?  Do you think it was chipped for awhile and the exhaust condensation was making it rust?

Yeah I know...its going to be a pan to get the mufflers off thats all. After all the work it took to get them in, I was hoping not to screw with that for the rest of the summer, that and I really dont want to buy new mufflers, after my experiance with the exhaust.

Oh that and I hat making stupid mistakes like this.

On the bright side, maybe I take a day off and fix the exhaust and get it all to fit right.

@Cuda Cody no rust there...just burnt paint, primer and some spot putty.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: xx88man on June 16, 2018, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: anlauto on June 16, 2018, 10:54:36 AM

It's not funny when it happens to you!   :o   :o    :o    :dunno:
:))

@anlauto ... I would cry if that happened again. She gets one of those, no more.  :D

@xx88man no worries man. When I look back on that, It is kind of funny. I mean really how do you damage all three of your parents vehicles at once...that is hard to do!!  Of course if tou have not heard the story...let me know and I will fill you in!!

Jason

RUNCHARGER

I thought there was rust as well, just spot putty. Can you shorten an exhaust or tailpipe to move the mufflers ahead or will that have the tailpipe hitting the rear axle?
Sheldon

xx88man

@Cudajason I am familiar with the story.... I really felt bad when this happened to you. I have also had very similar things happen at my house the past few months. Our driveway is not very long and it is a downhill towards our garage. My youngest son had backed out of the driveway before without issue but one morning in January he chose drive instead of reverse and the garage suffered structural damage....the van we replaced with a newer Grand Cherokee. Then a couple of weeks ago he tried to pull my truck out of the garage and ended up backing through the garage door and damaged the box of my pickup. Needless to say he doesn't take cars out of the driveway anymore.....and this is why I said it's "only funny if it doesn't happen to you".  :Thud:

Yes I'll look back on it and laugh some day....I'm still fixing and paying so for me it's too soon!
:rofl:
Keep yer foot in it

CudaMoparRay

This could be the perfect time or excuse to go muffler tip cutout valance instead presuming you like that look better

nsmall

Ughhhh.  Are you going to strip the whole valance?  Can you just repair it where it is damaged?  Sorry, I know this is getting old.

RUNCHARGER

I would just spot it in down there for now. It's not that visible a spot.
Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: xx88man on June 16, 2018, 07:14:21 PM

@Cudajason I am familiar with the story.... I really felt bad when this happened to you. I have also had very similar things happen at my house the past few months. Our driveway is not very long and it is a downhill towards our garage. My youngest son had backed out of the driveway before without issue but one morning in January he chose drive instead of reverse and the garage suffered structural damage....the van we replaced with a newer Grand Cherokee. Then a couple of weeks ago he tried to pull my truck out of the garage and ended up backing through the garage door and damaged the box of my pickup. Needless to say he doesn't take cars out of the driveway anymore.....and this is why I said it's "only funny if it doesn't happen to you".  :Thud:

Yes I'll look back on it and laugh some day....I'm still fixing and paying so for me it's too soon!
:rofl:

Ouch man...that sucks.

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on June 16, 2018, 08:13:00 PM
This could be the perfect time or excuse to go muffler tip cutout valance instead presuming you like that look better

Nope..I like the look of the turndowns...everyone has the cut our rear valance.

Quote from: nsmall on June 16, 2018, 10:34:05 PM
Ughhhh.  Are you going to strip the whole valance?  Can you just repair it where it is damaged?  Sorry, I know this is getting old.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 17, 2018, 07:54:23 AM
I would just spot it in down there for now. It's not that visible a spot.

I will likely strip the burnt spots, and hit it with the some primer for now.  Worst part is, that the valance was the most recently painted part of the car.  Oh well!

Jason

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 16, 2018, 01:06:19 PM
Oh well, just another job to get to. Here's a picture of my turndowns and someone else's car.

Damn, I am way off.  Are the mufflers on yours original @Jay Bee ?

Does anyone other the Accurate offer / make turndown mufflers...or is that the only option. 

Jason

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cudajason on June 20, 2018, 02:12:03 PM
Quote from: CudaMoparRay on June 16, 2018, 08:13:00 PM
Nope..I like the look of the turndowns...everyone has the cut our rear valance.

What about cleaning up the valance and moving the turn downs to before the axle?