Main Menu

Numbers Matching vs Non-Numbers vs Gen III Swap - Now and in Future

Started by 303 Mopar, March 22, 2018, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Starting this thread to divert posts from a from other threads.  Open to your opinions/thoughts on what you would buy and why from  a Cuda or Challenger numbers matching (any engine), versus a non-numbers car (again any engine), versus a gen III Hellcat/392/6.1 engine.  What would be your choice, or choices, why and what you think the value of these cars are currently and going in the future?

I'll start - My ultimate car would be a '70 Hemicuda all numbers matching.  To me this is the ultimate e-body that has the most value, collectability and wow factor!  However for reliability, enjoyment of start anytime and drive anywhere I would pick a '70 Cuda with a Hellcat or 392 Hemi engine.  This car has great value right now because people can have the old school look with the new engine reliability. I predict more of these "resto-mods" will show up in a lot of auctions over the next few years because they are hot right now.  In future, they may fade in value as most things do.

Cuda Cody

6 Packs and Hemi's will always have a strong following because of their rareness and power.  Resto-modded cars when done right will always have a large fan base too.  Quality work is what will hold it's value the best.   :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Copied off the other thread.

If I may give my opinion.  Both of you make very good points and it would really come down to the type of buyer. Since I have the very car your talking about and even considered doing the swap when the Hellcrate came out. After really thinking it over I think if it's a non matching numbers car the Hellcrate would bring more money at auction. I watch all the auctions and the trend is the restomods are bringing stronger money that originals pretty much across the board. Obviously we are not talking Hemi or 6 pack cars here. Now since mine is a matching number 4 speed car I believe that is not the way to go for me. Not to mention I love playing with 340's!

No one can say what the future holds when all the original stuff has dried up. At some point people just won't drive them anymore because of the rarity. IMO  So if they are just basically show cars will the all original shoot past the restomods? Will people be more interested in how they came from the factory and listen to how they sound? Only time will tell.

I have pondered this question to myself. What is the value difference in a 71 true Cuda restomod and a 71 Barracuda cloned with all the Cuda stuff and built identical in every single aspect. Only difference being VIN. I suspect the Cuda will prevail and that's just based on my personal thoughts. If I'm spending big bucks on a one of those cars I want a real Cuda.  So if that's the case do you spend all the time and money on a Barracuda?   :thinking:

Katfish

I think as the Baby Boomers age and die off, the value of all original cars will drop.
Gen X gamers will want the restomods they see in Fast and Furious and Grand Theft Auto.
Something they can drive, no desire to tinker or work on a car, it's just for driving.

7212Mopar

There are no cars that will fix itself so the Gen X either learn to do it themselves or pay someone to do it. I have been trying to engage my son to work on cars but no interest so far.

I do think restmod has their value and will be more fun IMO. However, I hate to see a rare car get butcher into something else.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 22, 2018, 09:34:12 AM
6 Packs and Hemi's will always have a strong following because of their rareness and power.  Resto-modded cars when done right will always have a large fan base too.  Quality work is what will hold it's value the best.   :alan2cents:

I agree with Cody. It's all about the quality of the work done. If it's a survivor...well, that can't be beat. But if its a restoration and the quality is there...it will always have value.

Katfish

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 22, 2018, 11:16:19 AM
There are no cars that will fix itself so the Gen X either learn to do it themselves or pay someone to do it. I have been trying to engage my son to work on cars but no interest so far.

Not true, grab a laptop and you have all you need to work on a new car.
No kid wants to "dial in" the timing of an old distributor.
Anything big is "just pay the dealer to replace it"

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Katfish on March 22, 2018, 11:06:50 AM
I think as the Baby Boomers age and die off, the value of all original cars will drop.
Gen X gamers will want the restomods they see in Fast and Furious and Grand Theft Auto.
Something they can drive, no desire to tinker or work on a car, it's just for driving.

Bingo. The pedigree cars will hold good value but to fewer people. The half-and-half cars will have a long healthy life.

The next generation has their sights on 300z's, RX-7s, Supras, MR2s, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

And the computer say bad O2 sensor and set off the engine light. The used once mentality is really bad and people should fix stuff and keeping them longer. Just read an article that we have an enormous plastic trash area in Pacific between CA and Hawaii that is the size of two Texas.

7212Mopar

Back on topic. Realistically I will never going to have a HEMI or six pack car. I also like to drive and modify them. My vote would be a restomod with a Hellcat HEMI. The only draw back is that the eshaust does not sound like the older muscle car.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 22, 2018, 12:58:15 PM
Back on topic. Realistically I will never going to have a HEMI or six pack car. I also like to drive and modify them. My vote would be a restomod with a Hellcat HEMI. The only draw back is that the eshaust does not sound like the older muscle car.

I really like the way a nice cam sounds in the older motors myself.  :yes:
But you never know. One day down the road I might wake up and decide that Hellcat motor is the way to go.

303 Mopar

So here is a question to think about: You have your favorite e-body with no engine or trans and $25-30k to buy whatever you want.  Are you going with old school with a 426 Hemi/440-6 or a gen III Hellcrate/329 Hemi whipple supercharged?

Cudajason

For me, and that is the key I think, everyone is different, I am not a numbers and paint dab guy. 

That being said, I would be highly unlikely to heavily modify a Hemi car or a T/A or AAR.  6 pack car, maybe, it depends on how bad it is I guess.

In fact a Pink T/A or AAR is likely the only car I would spend the money to restore and not modify...especially if it were numbers matching.

Out side of that, I think its fair game for me. 

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

The comment that was made in the other thread was that a 1971 original 340 Cuda modded with a Hellcat motor was worth more money then a correctly restored numbers matching 1971 340 Cuda....IN MY OPINION, I don't agree with that statement.

What I do believe strongly, is that a person modifying a car in this style, needs to believe that statement...  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudakiller70

I was into trifives and saw the flip of Resto mod cars surpassing numbers correct restorations. As said before as this group gets older it could very well happen here. Special cars like Hemis, TA's, AAR's and some other unique cars will still have their place.  :alan2cents: