Main Menu

Original Parts vs New /Repro Parts

Started by 71vert340, September 08, 2021, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

This is something that I've thought about for awhile and I don't really have an answer. When I show my Challenger convertible, it really looks drab compared to the "restored" Challengers/Cudas etc. My car still has many of it's original parts and they show their age. It's a driver quality car. My questions are, should I replace the original parts with new/reproduction parts as others are doing? Which would be better to have when it comes time to sell the car? I'll attach some photos to show what I mean. Coil, shaker air door cable label, fan/clutch, scratched air cleaner with original label, original grille/hl bezels unrestored, etc. Thoughts?
Terry W.

Cuda_mark

It's only original once!!! I would leave everything original as long as you can.

Cuda416

A lot of stuff can be reconditioned to look new pretty easily. Coil for example. Take pictures of the writing, maybe go so far as to make a stencil and repaint it. same thing with that linkage. Lot's of things to do to keep the originals and make them look new.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Filthy Filbert

What makes YOU happy?

I understand both sides....   Original survivor parts are only original once.  If you have a survivor type car; leave all the original parts.   They're not supposed to look new.

If you want a driver quality car, or a car that looks brand new, then replace the old worn looking parts. 

In terms of value.... Original is always worth more.   Just like with coins.   You got a rare 150 year old coin, it's worth more in its oxidized and tarnished state than if you were to clean it and polish it to look new. 

But, when something looks new, it looks amazing. 

It's your car.   What will make YOU happy?

Floyd

Agree that it's your car and whatever makes you happy.  I personally would leave everything original.   Much more interesting and rare IMO.

EV2RTSE

Maybe I've watched too many episodes of "American Pickers" but I'm really starting to like the 'patina' look. Also I've come to realize that very often the original components on our cars were quality brands - and that even at 50+ years old they are often superior to the reproduction part that would now replace them... stuff like original Kelsey-Hayes proportioning valves vs the current CRAP repop ones on the market quickly come to mind.

Racer57

How many people see you car that really care or would even know ? Put original away for safe keeping. Put new on. When you decide to sell the car, tell buyers you have both. 

R/T's 4 R/P

The question about what to have on the car when shown has significance.
For example, in some judging situations, like MCACN, there is a category for originality and category for condition for each aspect of the car.
A person could get high points for originality but be docked points because of quality even though it's original. But the part may be chipped, or faded, etc.
On the other hand, parts that are noticeable reproductions, despite being in good shape could result in docked points.

I feel that having original parts is better even though you may get docked points.

Now, as far as driving a car, I'd save the originals and use reproduction parts.

My 2 cents
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

DeathProofCuda

Personally, I would find your original driver condition car much more interesting than a restored show pony.  I love the patina on the ignition coil and coil bracket. :bigthumb: