Main Menu

painted or silver cad???????

Started by pink aar, May 18, 2017, 08:27:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

hahahaha  Ok , lets see if I can throw a curve ball here.  We all know there is always a question about a part being paint or bare metal, RIGHT??
Well, I painted my T/A steering box black, because I seen the 15000 original mile car on TransAm Cuda site. ( what a car to learn from).
SOOOO, my question is??????  Should the blower motor for the heater box be painted black or silver cad?? I read in the Collector Originality Guide Challenger - Barracuda book it could be either one????????  ANY THOUGHTS

KNOW NOTHING, BUT WILLING TO LEARN

JS29

Cuda Cody

In 1970 it's zinc plated.  So if you wanted to painted it, silver would be the closer.  But the correct way would be to have it re-zinc plated.

A few years later they went to a black painted heater blower motor.

Cuda Cody

There is a date code on them too if you want to know what year your blower motor is.  If I recall, it's a 4 digit number.  Should be something like 1160 = 116th day of 1970.

pink aar

I have 2 of them. I will have to look . What's funny the tag on the door is 4/70, I think the tag on the fender is 4/1/70 APRIL FOOLS DAY

70/6chall

OK, there PinkARR, my early built LA '70 Challenger has the silver painted heater blower motor. I hit it with some Krylon Dull Aluminum.       Thanks,   Al

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

6bblgt

Quote from: pink aar on May 18, 2017, 08:57:17 AM
I have 2 of them. I will have to look . What's funny the tag on the door is 4/70, I think the tag on the fender is 4/1/70 APRIL FOOLS DAY

there have to be some built in April, but ....

do you have a broadcast sheet?  is the door sticker original?  every 401 - SCHEDULED e-body I've seen was built earlier (ahead of schedule) in March

https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/actual-production-date-vs-scheduled-production-date/810/

70/6chall

I wholly agree with you Sheldon, zinc plated, just to make it look a little nicer in engine compartment, I masked it off and shot it with the Krylon Dull Aluminum, looks OK just doesn't have that metallic sheen that cad plated parts have.   Thanks,   Al

fc7cuda