Main Menu

Probably a stupid question - lug studs

Started by Yobie, November 15, 2018, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Yobie

In regards to the lug studs do they need to be pressed/hammered into the axle shaft?  I suspect there shouldn't be any play in them.  The ridges on mine seem to be worn down, would the axle shaft need to be replaced?

Those studs aren't correct I know was just seeing the sizes of some extra I had on hand.

Cuda Cody

If you are looking for stock wheel lug studs, @MoparDave  can get them for you.  If you have a 1970 and want to go back to 100% stock he can even get the LH and RH threads too.

Cuda Cody

And welcome to the site @Yobie   :welcome:    What are you working on?  Let's see some photos!    :twothumbsup:   :takepicture:

anlauto

The correct studs will fit tight, no need to replace the axles. the studs in your picture look similar to front disc brake studs.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Yobie

Thanks for the replies. I know those are not the correct studs I was just wondering how some extra front ones fit. As you can see the axel shaft hole is stripped so even the correct size doesn't fit snug it has some slop and falls back when putting the drum/wheel on.

I just want to make sure there is no issues I should be worrying about in regards to saftey with the ridges being stripped.

Thanks and I'll get some pics up shortly. It's a project 72 Cuda 340

anlauto

I'm a little confused...you're trying the wrong studs, that's why they're loose, the correct size studs will be tight. The spline sizes are not all the same. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If you have the correct wheel studs and it still loose in the axle you might want to replace the axle or weld the studs in otherwise you might never get the lug nuts off if the studs start spinning on you.

JS29

Quote from: Rich G. on November 15, 2018, 01:12:40 PM
If you have the correct wheel studs and it still loose in the axle you might want to replace the axle or weld the studs in otherwise you might never get the lug nuts off if the studs start spinning on you.
:iagree: I would replace it, A recipe for disaster! welding could effect the balance and if the weld brakes you will ether be cutting or drilling to get the wheel off.     

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 15, 2018, 08:30:41 AM
If you are looking for stock wheel lug studs, @MoparDave  can get them for you.  If you have a 1970 and want to go back to 100% stock he can even get the LH and RH threads too.

Well, brings me to another question, when did the 1970 hubs go to all RH threads?

Brads70

Quote from: Yobie on November 15, 2018, 08:25:26 AM
In regards to the lug studs do they need to be pressed/hammered into the axle shaft?  I suspect there shouldn't be any play in them.  The ridges on mine seem to be worn down, would the axle shaft need to be replaced?

Those studs aren't correct I know was just seeing the sizes of some extra I had on hand.

You could use a lug nut and a spacer to pull them into the hole, just make really sure they are fully seated as the wheel could come loose otherwise. If the splines are loose you could  find another stud slightly larger and drill the axel accordingly.
I've used a chart like this one to use a stock stud that are slightly longer  to use a spacer.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/pages/products/wheel-hardware/index.aspx
click on view as PDF or View Chart
Welcome to the site, hope that helps?  :wave:

RUNCHARGER

If the hole is wallowed out you really should try to find another axle.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site  :wave:
It take 5 bolts to slide the axle out , then you can hammer the studs in & get them fully seated  doesn't hurt to lube the brg & the same time as it is not lubricated but the diff fluid

Yobie

LOL, I know those are not the correct studs.  I think I will weld the correct ones in and look to replace the axle shaft when I start driving the car.

What happend was I was towing the car on a tow dolly and the rear wheel fell off.  Brand new kuhmo tires and the inner belt broke causing the tire to wobble.  Being unaware it vibrated and wiggled till it sheered the bolts and I lost the wheel/drum down the road.  Thankfully it was at night and no one was around to get hurt!

Yobie

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on November 15, 2018, 04:04:47 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 15, 2018, 08:30:41 AM

Well, brings me to another question, when did the 1970 hubs go to all RH threads?

Just saw this post, maybe I wont weld it then!

Thanks for the heads up.