Main Menu

Pros/Cons of having your car in a registry

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 16, 2019, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Looking for opinions on the benefits or negatives of having a fairly rare 70 RT on a registry. Until now, I've been reluctant to not black out the last 6 vin digits. I seriously have only withheld due to the thought that maybe a hidden gem is better? Maybe mine's already out there. Please tag any registry owners in the group (like Ola Nilsson or Barry Washington, if they're in here). I'm seriously clueless about this, and just seeking opinions. Be gentle. I've also found that these registries don't seem to be available to me to search through. Help?

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70chall440

Well I would think the PRO would be that it kind of helps validates the car as a known entity. Plus it might help to sell it if you so desire. I think listing it does help the overall community however.

I guess the CON would be if it were stolen at some point or someone was looking for it for some reason.

What is rare about the car?
Mopar or no car!!!

70 Challenger Lover

When I had my 70 Super Bee, I joined a registry and for $2-$3 bucks, they sent me a nice breakdown of all the cars they had. After that I never heard anything again. I think it eventually went away.

I joined an ebody registry as well a few years ago but can't recall which one. I sent off my info. along with a $3 bucks they were asking to pay for costs and it was like sending it to the abyss. Never heard anything ever again.

If some retired person ever came up with a quality registry that had yearly newsletters showing accurate breakdowns as the registry grew, I'd gladly pay a small yearly fee to participate. I am leaning towards the "it's not worth it" side of registries.

7E-Bodies

It's a quad green u code with most of its original stuff. Not saying a 6 digit car by any means, but to me it's condition is stunning. Still with the original interior in very nice condition. Drivetrains still there. I have it mid resto now and soon to hit my rotisserie. No rust no dents.

70chall440

Sounds like a very cool car. Today, they are all valuable, so many have been wrecked, parted out, etc.
Mopar or no car!!!

70 Challenger Lover

That does sound cool. As I get older, I really like the colors that aren't seen as often like greens, golds, Browns. Shame it wasn't ordered with a sure grip. Course you could add it.

7E-Bodies

Indeed. And that's the only part of the drivetrain that's not original. Seller said it'd been gone since the 70s. It now has 3.91 Suregrip. Not sure what I'll do about that when coming back together. Engine and trans are numbers matching. Just finished total rebuild on 727 and engine heads for machine shop next week for stock refresh, heads worked for pump gas. Still has original carb with tag and original distributor. Engine is amazingly clean, even in the valley. Turns nice from harmonic balancer bolt.

7E-Bodies

This is her a few months ago...

7E-Bodies

This ones a tad more telling. Right after getting all the vinyl top glue off. Twas beer time.

JH27N0B

Greens and browns have grown on me too, I'm tired of seeing purple and red (and one of my Challengers is red).  Hard to sell though, my trophy winning 71 V code is brown and when I ran out of room for it in my garage, I tried to sell it and found out the hard way that there is no market for brown cars, which might hold true for greens also.
Pros of registries are that some paperwork or a #s block or trans might turn up and get reunited through the registry.  At least with Galens registry, the downside is that he charges you to join, and then will sell your data.  I wouldn't register a car with him.
Barry keeps good records in his registry.  I got a bit frustrated with him when I bought my '71 Challenger and contacted him with its info, and got a curt reply from him basically saying he didn't give a damn about '71s. ::)

70 Challenger Lover

Not to get off topic but when I drive my gold Barracuda around, the first thing people say to me is how much they like the color. Second comment is often that it's nice to see a different color for a change.

I wouldn't shy away from a green car. Pink yes. If a car is properly matched with colors, most look great. What I can't stand is a stripe or top that's different from the interior. I.e. the white top with black interior or black top with white interior. Just looks funny to me.