Main Menu

Radiator Support Brace Value

Started by ledphoot, August 17, 2018, 12:58:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Anybody done the radiator support bracing on their e-body? Did you notice much of any improvement? I am definitely doing subframe connectors, maybe torque boxes as well. Wondering if the Radiator Support Brace is worth the effort.

Would love to hear your feedback.

76orangewagon

I did the full bracing thing on my Pro-touring Duster, sorry not an E body, as far as improvements go it definitely stiffened up the front end and helped the k frame reduced any flex and it provides a great place to jack up your car in case your sitting low to the ground.

Brads70

I made my own subframe connectors and used the US Cartool cowl braces  then added a "Monte Carlo" bar ( that what someone called it, never heard that term before? ) I didn't figure the rad support brace was necessary? Definitely took the flex out on my car. I can jack on the torsion bar crossmember and it lifts the whole side of the car up pretty much at the same time. It didn't do that before.   

303 Mopar

We installed the US Cartool brace on @CudaKat's '73, but its still just a roller...... :bricks:

Burdar

It definately adds strength to "the bare shell".  However, so does the K-member. The flex test I've seen was done without the K installed. I'm not convinced the rad support brace adds any extra regidity once the K is in place. Plus, a lot of people add gussets and reinforce the K from how it came from the factory. That should stabilize the unibody more as well.

Adding dimple died holes to the lower rad support should make it stronger too. Would that be another option? That option wouldn't add any weight.

ledphoot

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am running the QA1 front suspension, not sure how stiff it is compared to the factory k-member. Was thing of installing XV's shock-tower (monte-carlo) bracing in the engine compartment as well. If I am doing the radiator support, now is the time before things get too far along with the engine / radiator installed etc., maybe I will do it just because I can and doing it later will be a hassle.

jordan

I have it done.  I feel it strengthens up the front frame rails as they are just hanging out there just waiting to get twisted with massive torque.  Do it now and then you wont wonder about it later.  Not hard to do, and not too expensive.  Make sure it doesn't touch a radiator corner or it could cause issues with the radiator over time. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"