Main Menu

Rallye car questions

Started by blown motor, July 11, 2018, 04:57:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

My car is a 74 Challenger. What I learned from Neil is that Rallye cars were JS and non rallye cars were JH in the VIN. Mine has bulge hood, rallye dash and fender louvers. Does that mean all these were swapped in by a PO? Could these things be ordered seperately?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

72 Challenger

Could the dash have been swapped and that vin came along with it? Is the car numbers matching? does the vin match the cowl and rad stampings?
Someday I will have a J0b.

blown motor

Engine is not numbers. Original 318, now 340. 904 numbers tranny. Cowl, rad support and door all match dash pad VIN.

Cuda Cody

Burdar

QuoteRallye cars were JS and non rallye cars were JH in the VIN.

That is only true in 72.  There were no JS VINs in 73 and 74.  In 72 the Rallye was a separate model so it got a different VIN.  In 73 and 74 the Rallye was a "package" that you could add to the base Challenger.  73 and 74 Rallye's have JH VINs.

In 73 and 74, the only way to know if your car is a "Rallye" is if your fender tag has A57 on it.  That's the code for the "Rallye Package".  It would probably list A57 on the build sheet as well.

If you got the 340/360 engine, you got the scooped hood.  318 cars would have had a flat hood UNLESS the Rallye package was ordered.  I don't think you could order the scooped hood separately.  The side scoops weren't available separately either.  The Rallye dash WAS available as an option.  I believe you also got three speed wipers with the Rallye dash.

IIRC you've said in the past that you don't have the fender tag.  If that's the case, then you'll never know 100%.  Since you have the scooped hood, fender louvers, Rallye dash (and I assume 3-speed wipers) chances are pretty good that your car is a Rallye. :alan2cents: 

72 Challenger

Learn thing everyday.

I have a 72 with the JS vin so I assumed it was the same going forward.

Burdar

The Rallye also came with the beefier suspension.  Rallye cars got a rear sway bar...even the 318 Rallye's.  Do you have a rear bar?  What was the standard torsion bar size for a base 318 car in the later years?  Rallye's had the .88 bars.

blown motor

Thanks @Burdar  No tag or BS. Yes it has 3 speed wipers and rear sway bar. The car was originally yellow and is now black. Any paint chip under the hood shows yellow underneath so I'm quite certain it's the original scooped hood. Based on all this I think it's almost certain that it would have been a rallye car.

Burdar

Here is a torsion bar chart that lists the size by body style and engine.  It has paint marking info as well.   This should be in our archives for reference if it isn't already.

Burdar

I've seen the Rallye/340/360 bars listed at a few different sizes over the years.  I've seen them listed as .88, .89 and .90
My 318 Rallye bars had silver paint markings on them.  One mark on one side and two marks on the other side.  I replicated them after I repainted the bars.

72 Challenger

Quote from: Burdar on July 12, 2018, 10:54:42 AM
I've seen the Rallye/340/360 bars listed at a few different sizes over the years.  I've seen them listed as .88, .89 and .90
My 318 Rallye bars had silver paint markings on them.  One mark on one side and two marks on the other side.  I replicated them after I repainted the bars.

@Burdar

Which end has the two paint markings? torque box side or control arm side? I have the paint to do this on my own car but couldn't figure out which end got what. Have you got a picture?

Burdar

The paint "colors" designated what the bar size was at a quick glance for the line workers.  The "number" of paint marks designated what side of the car the bar went on.  It didn't have to do with what end went forward or back.  I think one mark was DS and two marks was PS but I don't remember.  I don't have torsion bar pictures saved on this computer.  I'll have to look at home to see if I have any pictures or notes.

I just bought a small jar of Testors model paint to make the marks.

72 Challenger

Perfect, that works. I will add those this winter.