Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RzeroB

Well after a swift kick in the pants (thanks Randy) and some encouragement from Cody, I finally decided to bring my act over here to EBO. Pretty much the same shtick as before. The primary focus are those E-bodies that left Hamtramck with a "R" engine code and a Hemi under the hood. Additionally those E-bodies that currently have a Hemi under the hood regardless of engine code may be included too (that means you Mike).

I have a lot of data - some complete with fender tag, build sheet and window sticker; and others nothing more than a VIN. Most all of it was gained from open sources in the public domain. If I use somebody's private or copyrighted material from the internet and I don't credit you, or you want it removed - just let me know.

I'm actually missing a lot more data than I have. So if you have some pics and info on a Hemi E-body and you want to share feel free to contribute - the more the merrier! After all, the whole idea of this thread is to celebrate these awe inspiring machines for what they are - the zenith of Mopar performance from the first muscle car era of the early 1970's. So if you have something to contribute - post it up!

August 1st 1969. It was my wife's 5th birthday and soon after that she went off to school. August 1st 1969 was also the "birthday" of the E-body and in particular the HemiCuda and Hemi Challenger RT. Soon after their birthday these Hemi powered E-bodies were "off to school" too, but on the streets and drag strips where they "schooled" the competition and established themselves as the apex predators at the top of the muscle car heap!

First up is the very first Hemi E-body. I know I covered this one before, but it's significance can not be over looked and warrants it being mentioned first ... again.

There can be only one number one and BS23R0B100003 is thee first of about 704 1970 HemiCuda''s ever made. With such a low serial number it stands to reason that this car was a prototype or pilot car that was never intended to be sold to the public. As the HemiCuda prototype, the car stayed in the hands of Chrysler engineering for a year and a half before it was somehow sold off as "excess." The car passed thru five unsuspecting owners until Gary Dodane purchased it in 1983 from the boyfriend of his sister for less than $4,000.

In 2012 after 29 years of ownership and the discovery of his car's significance, Gary decided to part ways with his very unique HemiCuda and listed it for sale for a whopping $3.3 million dollars! The car didn't sell. Five years later, in 2017 Gary has the car up for sale again but this time for only $3.2 million dollars! However, if you do not have that much extra cash that's okay as Gary is open to cash plus trades that include a rather odd selection of cars to include: a BMW Isetta or Messerschmidt KR200 three-wheelers, an Amphicar, a 1962 23-window Volkswagon Bus or a Limelight 1970 Plymouth Superbird!

For a good read on Gary and his unique HemiCuda, bang it here:  http://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/car-features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-70-plymouth-hemi-cuda-1/
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Always a great thread on the other site. I think you should do it in VIN order here....just to keep it straight ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

Funny you mention that Alan as I was actually thinking of trying to do something like that. I was actually thinking of trying to do it by month of production - August SPD cars in August, etc. I don't know if it can be done though, much of my data is incomplete with a lot of SPD and VIN "holes" in it. Might be worth giving it a go though and see how it works out.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Cuda Cody

I LOVE THIS THREAD!   :banana:  One of the all time best.   :veryexcited:  Thanks you so much for sharing these cars.  I love seeing the rare beast.  :worship:

71GranCoupe

:welcome: Hi Tom!! Took you long enough to venture over. Guess I didn't twist your arm hard enough. Glad to see you here.  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Welcome @RzeroB / Tom & thanks so much for doing this , I love the information you add with all of the cars you have logged
:banana:

303 Mopar

Welcome Tom! So glad you are doing this thread here!

JS29

750-h2

Glad to see you here. Like many I love this thread!!!  Thanks!!!

Topcat

Love this thread too.   :bravo:

Glad you came over here.

You went silent on it on the other forum and I was beginning to wonder what happened. 

1 Wild R/T

Well Well Welcome!!!  :pokeeye: Really Glad you decided to join us!!! You don't have to give up on CC.com but Cody has put together a very cool site & I think you'll enjoy it.....And with this thread being reborn over here you should be sporting free E bodies.Org swag in no time........ :handshake:

Moparman82

Hooray!  Welcome tom!  Good to have you buddy!
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

cuda hunter

I'll jump in ! 

Thanks for posting one of the best all time threads !
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Finoke

Love this thread. Yes keep em coming!!!  :banana:

Cuda70-74

Thanks for sharing surprise it still haven't sold yet.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger