Main Menu

Rear Bumper guards with rubber

Started by Timbbuc2, September 22, 2017, 08:34:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

I am in the process of putting my exhaust/tips rear valance and rear bumper. My old bumper has guards with rubber tips. I have seen the bumper guards(repop) but  who repops the ones with the rubber tips? 70 Challenger
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

The rubber strips are only on cars that were optioned with front & rear bumper guards. If you originally had the rubber strips, you most likely had the front guards too.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on September 22, 2017, 12:11:49 PM
The rubber strips are only on cars that were optioned with front & rear bumper guards. If you originally had the rubber strips, you most likely had the front guards too.

:iagree:
The factory did screw this up sometimes, but the front bumper guards have rubber cushions, and the rear bumper guards with rubber cushions are only supposed to be on cars with matching front bumper guards.

I'm not sure who reproduces the rubber inserts.  I think I've seen some though, sold separately from the metal part.

Mrbill426

Our car came with front and rear guards but only the front had rubber inserts.  At least that's the way it was outfitted when we bought it.

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 28, 2017, 06:49:17 PM
Our car came with front and rear guards but only the front had rubber inserts.  At least that's the way it was outfitted when we bought it.

Did you buy your car brand new ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

No we did not anlauto, and it's been in a couple body shops that I am aware of.  If the gaurds on ours are "wrong" I need to figure that out  :huh:

:wrenching:

Quote from: anlauto on September 28, 2017, 06:51:32 PM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 28, 2017, 06:49:17 PM

Did you buy your car brand new ?

cataclysm80

It's very possible that someone switched them, but like I said, the factory did screw this up sometimes.
Most cars didn't have front guards, and the guy installing the rear guards might not have been the same guy installing the front ones.
The prototype T/A factory photos show a car with front guards, but without rubber inserts on the back.  It started as an A66 car with dual exhaust out the back, so maybe the design team could have swapped the rear guards when they swapped rear valances, but why?

The engineers/designers intent was that the front and rear guards match, regardless of what the line workers actually did.

Even if it was a factory mistake, would you duplicate the mistake during your restoration, or fix it?
Do you duplicate the paint runs, orange peel, and mismatched panel gaps?   Sometimes it's difficult to decide.

Mrbill426

Oh boy, my bad  :-[  The front and back gaurds were indeed the same, with rubber inserts... oops!  Sorry guys and gals  :sorry:

:wrenching:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on September 28, 2017, 08:30:14 PM
It's very possible that someone switched them, but like I said, the factory did screw this up sometimes.
Most cars didn't have front guards, and the guy installing the rear guards might not have been the same guy installing the front ones.
The prototype T/A factory photos show a car with front guards, but without rubber inserts on the back.  It started as an A66 car with dual exhaust out the back, so maybe the design team could have swapped the rear guards when they swapped rear valances, but why?

The engineers/designers intent was that the front and rear guards match, regardless of what the line workers actually did.

Even if it was a factory mistake, would you duplicate the mistake during your restoration, or fix it?
Do you duplicate the paint runs, orange peel, and mismatched panel gaps?   Sometimes it's difficult to decide.