Main Menu

Removing longitudinal stripes from White Challenger

Started by e_body70, May 13, 2019, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

e_body70

Hey everyone!  I'm looking for some input/advice regarding post removal of vinyl side longitudinal stripes from my white '70 Challenger.  I have not removed the stripes yet.

Previous owner put the longitudinal stripes on; the car is actually a stripe delete car.  I've owned the car since 2000 and the stripes have been on since.  Car has been garage parked when it's not being driven, lessening the amount of sun exposure over the years.   Its not an original paint car, car was re-painted sometime in the late 80's/early 90's.

**Besides a heat gun for removal, any other tips/advice from those who have done this?

**Also, the other concern of course, is what to expect when stripes are removed.  I would assume the sun on bare paint will certainly be faded or colored differently compared to that protected by the stripes. Will this be an insurmountable problem, or can this problem be buffed away?  Thanks!

Daveh

I was hesitant at first also but they work great without marring the paint.

anlauto

3M Woodgrain remover  :twothumbsup: I'd be SUPER careful with a heat gun  :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

RUNCHARGER

I never had any luck with those erasers on containers or trucks, maybe they were glued too recently.
Sheldon

Dakota

I used the eraser wheel on my son's car to remove the vinyl stripe after it started to crack (6 years of direct sun in Texas will do that).   It worked well.   The one risk is staying in one spot too long and burning through the clear coat.   

750-h2

Keep in mind that after the stripes are removed there is a good chance that you will always be able to see their outline in your paint. I know this for a fact as my brother owns a car lot and often removes decal / lettering from commercial vehicles and even after extensive buffing you often can still see the outline of the removed lettering in the paint.  :alan2cents:

dave73

Quote from: 750-h2 on May 14, 2019, 05:29:16 AM
Keep in mind that after the stripes are removed there is a good chance that you will always be able to see their outline in your paint. I know this for a fact as my brother owns a car lot and often removes decal / lettering from commercial vehicles and even after extensive buffing you often can still see the outline of the removed lettering in the paint.  :alan2cents:

I guess it depends on how long the stripes have been on there and how the paint has aged over the years? Years of staying in the sun and I'm sure the fading is much more noticeable. A garage kept car may not have this same issue?

e_body70

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2019, 11:19:36 AM
3M Woodgrain remover  :twothumbsup: I'd be SUPER careful with a heat gun  :o

Thanks, I think I'll buy that to help with the removal!  I looked on Amazon, and they have the 3M 08907 Woodgrain and Stripe Remover ($50)

There's also the 3M 08908 Woodgrain and Stripe Adhesive Remover ($37) on Amazon to clean off the residue after the vinyl stripes have been removed.

e_body70

Quote from: dave73chally on May 14, 2019, 06:28:20 AM
Quote from: 750-h2 on May 14, 2019, 05:29:16 AM

I guess it depends on how long the stripes have been on there and how the paint has aged over the years? Years of staying in the sun and I'm sure the fading is much more noticeable. A garage kept car may not have this same issue?

That's what I am hoping for; fingers crossed.

RUNCHARGER

I tend to think you will see the ghost of the stripe afterwards but you can try it. It may even be that the glue works it's way into the paint and will always be there.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 13, 2019, 07:10:19 PM
I never had any luck with those erasers on containers or trucks, maybe they were glued too recently.

The wheel with no gaps like 3M sells don't work very well, the ones with air gaps work extremely well....

RUNCHARGER

That's probably the deal, the one I used had no gaps. I redecaled 140 containers and 70 trailers along with the trucks three separate times. I got good at it although I really didn't want to be good at it.
Sheldon

e_body70

Took a closer look at a tear on a section of my stripe (don't recall how old/recent that tear is).  It had some adhesive residue within the tear, but I easily scrapped off the residue with my fingernail; so I can see how the paint looks where the strip was.  From my eye, I don't see any color difference/fading.....so hopefully the outcome when the stripe comes off will be the same!  Fingers crossed!