Main Menu

Reproduction tuff wheel

Started by purple1, November 20, 2017, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

purple1

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Burdar

That's the same wheel a lot of places sell.  I had a look at that wheel at the Mopar Nats.  I wasn't impressed.  The grip feels like hard plastic.  It's probably vinyl but it's extremely hard.  IF you have some upholstery skills, you COULD buy that wheel and wrap the grip in another material.  I've seen leather covers available before. 

I ended up buying the leather wrapped wheel from PG Classics.

GoodysGotaCuda

Mine is from Grant. Obviously my car isn't a concourse car but the wheel is very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

I suspect that is the grant wheel. I'd suggest the leather wrapped onr from PG classics.
I had the grant one first , then sold it. The PG classics wheel is also slightly smaller in diameter helping with clearance also which is a plus again. Leather is much nicer than the hard plastic/foam?
http://www.pgclassic.com/256-bs-c-mopar-a-b-c-e-body-leather-tuff-steering-wheel/

HP_Cuda

The pros and cons of both Tuff Wheels:

Hard wheel - Purchased through many outfits
Pro - The overall size is 14" which is good for getting in and out of the Cuda.
Con - Hard feel, not great for long trips and if you want death grip the wheel

Soft wheel - Purchased through PG Classics, Grant (15")
Pro - Nice soft leather feel, comfortable
Con - The overall size of the wheel is slightly larger 14.5, overall look not finished

I will probably switch over to the PG one sometime soon.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 20, 2017, 11:14:25 AM
The pros and cons of both Tuff Wheels:

Hard wheel - Purchased through many outfits
Pro - The overall size is 14" which is good for getting in and out of the Cuda.
Con - Hard feel, not great for long trips and if you want death grip the wheel

Soft wheel - Purchased through PG Classics, Grant (15")
Pro - Nice soft leather feel, comfortable
Con - The overall size of the wheel is slightly larger 14.5, overall look not finished

I will probably switch over to the PG one sometime soon.

I thought it was the other way around, the Grant Tuff wheel is larger than the PG classics ? I've had both and I'm pretty sure PG's is smaller? I could be wrong though..... now you have me thinking? :huh:

HP_Cuda

I tried to note the difference when I put Grant (15")

Was probably a bit confusing.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

7212Mopar

I think Summit carries the Flaming River version which is leather and 14" diameter for over $300.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

69bronzeT5

I've always heard good things about the PG Classics ones  :notsure:

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

61K T/A

I have both the PG Classics and the OEM Tuff Wheels. If your looking for comfort the OE is the way to go. The leather wrap on the PG is done nicely and is not as soft. PG Classics had a Black Friday sale when I bought mine and the OE wheel is a different story.

RUNCHARGER

I really like the OE ones but they are hard to find in usable condition. I ran one of those Grants and it was fine, beats the heck out of the stock 25" by 5/8" boat tiller.
Sheldon

70/6chall

I picked up this OE tuff wheel for $10. from an '80 Mirada, really beautiful condition. Being black it was a good score for my black interior. When I had the seats redone, I decided to have the wheel grip redone in a sports style grip with orange stitching. I have a few orange cue's inside the black interior, this just carries the theme out. The orange cue's to me compliment the Go-Mango exterior. I did change out a Rim-Blow wheel for one a little more driver friendly.    Thanks,   Al

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 70/6chall on November 20, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
I picked up this OE tuff wheel for $10. from an '80 Mirada, really beautiful condition. Being black it was a good score for my black interior. When I had the seats redone, I decided to have the wheel grip redone in a sports style grip with orange stitching. I have a few orange cue's inside the black interior, this just carries the theme out. The orange cue's to me compliment the Go-Mango exterior. I did change out a Rim-Blow wheel for one a little more driver friendly.    Thanks,   Al

Goes good with the dash wood

70/6chall

Thanks Ray.......... When I redid the SE dash fascia and the door wood trim, I didn't want to use the factory Walnut trim. I stumbled across the wood trim you see in the pic, at a dealership trim supplier. It is the 3M wood trim that the Chrysler dealerships used on the outside of the "Woody" PT Cruisers and the wood trim on the Town and Country Mini Vans. Should hold up well, No! It's not factory for the '70 Challenger SE standard instrument fascia, but the "cherry" wood tone compliments the orange exterior color again.        Thanks,   Al

cudaragtop

Use "SAVE25" code at checkout for 25% off at PG classics right now.  :banana:

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8