Main Menu

Safely loading a non-running 1970 Cuda onto a rollback

Started by David1971, November 13, 2018, 04:10:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

David1971

I am having a towing company pick up a non running 70 Cuda.  They will be using a rollback.  The Cuda is complete, with its 440 and 727 transmission intact.  It has not been run in 3 - 4 years.  Where is the preferred point on the Cuda where the wench cable or straps should be connected.  I want to make sure no damage is done to the suspension, k-member, frame etc.

This is my first post here.  I have been a member since this Spring, but have been mainly reading posts and threads.  There is a lot of knowledge here. 

Thanks,
David

Brads70

Welcome!  :wave:

If towing from the rear I'd say sling it on the rear end housing, from the front usually its around the lower control arms. 

Topcat

Welcome   :welcome:

Watch them with a keen eye as it get's loaded on.  :takealook:

Tow truck operators are one of the main reasons E bodies had so many destroyed lower valences.  :takemymoney: :wrenching:

Also watch if the chains are going to end up coming into contact with the fuel tank when it tightens up.
I once had to put a 2 x 4 in between so the chains wouldn't touch it.   :headbang:

Crocha617

If you're dragging it up from the front he has to attach to the k frame.

Spikedog08

They will probably damage the front valance if they go from the front .  .  I vote to attach from the rear end and pull from there . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

GoodysGotaCuda

Every time I have had an old mopar hauled, they -always- damage the frame holes with those little keys they insert. They snug up the car then get that "one last bump" and tear the rail.

*Note* this is after the car is on the rollback, when they secure it down to the bed for hauling.

I ended up reinforcing the frame holes on the 'Cuda with 3/16" plate to get ahead of that.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site
The K frame is the lowest & strongest point from the front or the diff from the rear , as above watch the valences closely

Morty426

They need to get the rollback all the way back so you have the smallest approach angle.  Hook to the back of the K frame and place a 4"x4" block between the bottom of the K frame and the cable.  This should keep the cable from the front valence. 

Once on the deck you can remove the block. 

Secure tire straps if possible.  Otherwise strap around the rear end and the K frame passenger side.

Good luck and congrats

RUNCHARGER

I preferred only hauling mine when they were still in project stage. When I had to haul them for their pre-registration safeties though I would wrap a strap around the K-member and two straps around the rear axle. Some of the tilt deck guys may have wheel strap setups and they are best of course.
With the valances on, you'll want him to pull it on front forward. The rear valance is way behind the wheels so it would get damaged.
Sheldon

JS29

Is there a reason why it has to have a roll back? A wheel lift on a wrecker will NOT damage anything! The bigger the truck, the taller the deck height, the steeper the angel. they have J-hooks with straps and straps to go around all four tires. that would be the way to go with for flatbed transporting.  :alan2cents: I have a few year invested in the towing and recovery biz. 

RUNCHARGER

I agree, smaller truck is actually better. I used mine because I had it for hauling equipment and containers.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I've had my transported plenty in the build process.

My preference is to load from the rear but now that I think of it I had a running motor at that point.

Oh this can be very ugly.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200