Main Menu

‘70 Go Wing brackets on ‘74 trunk

Started by Mopsquad, June 15, 2018, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

Test fitting the wing and brackets on my '70. For some reason, this high dollar clone has '74 trunk. Placing the brackets on the underside, it's not flush.  Any suggestions or comments?

Jay Bee

You're missing the drumstick shaped underside cutout. There's templates out there so both sides can be cut properly. Here's a picture of what the underside of a 1970 trunk lid should look like and a picture of the templates.

Mopsquad

Thank you!  I was hoping I didn't have to cut, only drill.  I'll search out those templates. I know the existing cutout on the left will be an issue with only open space to affix the lower screws on the bracket.

Jay Bee

You're right, that square-ish hole on the left is going to be an issue. I bought my templates from FPAP (First Place Auto Parts) when Fritz was still alive. After some Googling I found this place but have no info on them.
https://www.carid.com/first-place-auto-products/pedestal-spoiler-cutout-templates-mpn-fp240.html

Mopsquad

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 16, 2018, 12:55:20 PM
You're right, that square-ish hole on the left is going to be an issue. I bought my templates from FPAP (First Place Auto Parts) when Fritz was still alive. After some Googling I found this place but have no info on them.
https://www.carid.com/first-place-auto-products/pedestal-spoiler-cutout-templates-mpn-fp240.html

Thank for the info!

Jay Bee

You're welcome.

I'm surprised no one else chimed in with an alternate installation solution.

I've seen pictures were the brackets were left off, some longer threaded rod was used and bolted that way to the underside of the trunk. However, the left side was bolted through the "square-ish" hole making that side flimsy. I guess if you really don't want to cut you can come up with your own mounting plates.  Good luck.

Mopsquad

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 18, 2018, 12:46:25 PM
You're welcome.

I'm surprised no one else chimed in with an alternate installation solution.

I've seen pictures were the brackets were left off, some longer threaded rod was used and bolted that way to the underside of the trunk. However, the left side was bolted through the "square-ish" hole making that side flimsy. I guess if you really don't want to cut you can come up with your own mounting plates.  Good luck.

Its just such a high quality build and I'm not into taking short cuts on this car  I'm almost to the point of getting a proper repro '70 with cut outs, and fingers crossed, having a good painter match up the color.

anlauto

If it's a "high quality" build....then it doesn't need distracting looking wing stuck on the trunk lid :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on June 19, 2018, 11:36:33 AM
If it's a "high quality" build....they it doesn't need distracting looking wing stuck on the trunk lid :alan2cents:

:iagree:

Mopsquad

Quote from: anlauto on June 19, 2018, 11:36:33 AM
If it's a "high quality" build....then it doesn't need distracting looking wing stuck on the trunk lid :alan2cents:

LOL.  I get it.  Personal opinion I guess. 

The '74 trunk just bewilders me considering the cost, effort and extent of the build.