Main Menu

1971 ‘cuda convertible

Started by 69CudaFan, June 28, 2018, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RzeroB

Quote from: autoxcuda on July 02, 2018, 09:00:20 PM
There's tons of pics of that thing. Randy and his then wife/girlfriend Sabrina took it around and used it to publicize their resto business called Cuda Connection.

Cuda Connection was written in Coca Cola style lettering.... They were big fans of Coke.... And they liked the soda too.

Funny but that is one of the things that I distinctly remember about that car - the Coca Cola front license plate. When he rolled into the meet at Carrol Shelby's facility in Santa Fe Springs I turned around and saw this red '71 Cuda rumbling into the parking lot with that license plate leading the way. Stupid I know, of all the things distinctive about that car ... '71 Cuda, convertible, Shaker hood, Hemi ... I remember that inconsequential license plate!  :looney:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

zazou

magnifique ! a beautiful car !
Plymouth Cuda 1973 - Normandie-France

Topcat

Quote from: RzeroB on July 03, 2018, 10:50:29 AM
There's tons of pics of that thing. Randy and his then wife/girlfriend Sabrina took it around and used it to publicize their resto business called Cuda Connection.

Cuda Connection was written in Coca Cola style lettering.... They were big fans of Coke.... And they liked the soda too.

Funny but that is one of the things that I distinctly remember about that car - the Coca Cola front license plate. When he rolled into the meet at Carrol Shelby's facility in Santa Fe Springs I turned around and saw this red '71 Cuda rumbling into the parking lot with that license plate leading the way. Stupid I know, of all the things distinctive about that car ... '71 Cuda, convertible, Shaker hood, Hemi ... I remember that inconsequential license plate!  :looney:

Yes I remember it also the same show.
But wasn't it Porsche Red then?

RzeroB

Quote from: Topcat on July 03, 2018, 12:44:33 PM
Quote from: RzeroB on July 03, 2018, 10:50:29 AM

Yes I remember it also the same show.
But wasn't it Porsche Red then?

Might of been Mike ... It was so long ago I don't really recall??  :thinking:

I thought it was one of the real deal Hemi 'verts. I ran over there to check it out and talk to Randy. I remember being a bit indignent when he told me it was a "clone".  :thumbdown:  What an a$$ I was!!  :yes:  Randy was a creative pioneer with that car and the Hemi 'vert population has been growing ever since thanks to his pioneering efforts.  :clapping:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

69CudaFan

Randy had paperwork and info from his timeframe, including a planned stunt involving the car showing where the explosive was to be located and where on Mullholland they were going to touch it off.  All of that, and photos from his time were subject to a bitter divorce and vindictive ex.

The cosmetics look the same as when it was in Car Craft in November of 1985. The color on the car is Deltron 1986 Porsche red single stage.  Underside is painted and looks nearly as good as the rest of the car.

There is another episode of Mannix where there is dynamite under the hood and you can clearly see the 383 pie tin.

@anlauto PM me about the VIN.

anlauto

I don't really care that much about the VIN I was just wondering if it was a BS or BH ? what size engine....sounds to me the the Mannix "claim to fame " is long gone :'(   Now is just another clone ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69CudaFan

BS27

The Mannix claim to fame may be long gone in your eyes, but the back half of the car is green (under the rear seat) the second owner who built this clone is still alive. I am having a ball documenting what I can. It looks nearly as good as 1985, which is cool. Clean SoCal car and is still a 71 vert.

1 Wild R/T

It is an N code BS, heavily optioned & originally green....  It definitely is one of the real Mannix cars, plenty of people who have been in the hobby on the west coast can verify that...

anlauto

Should be restored back to "as shown on the TV''  then.... otherwise it's just another Hemi clone :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69CudaFan

Alan, let me know when you are ready to donate your talents. Otherwise, I am inclined to keep it how Randy built it. I love that it has survived 30+ years of being driven.

I hate Magnums and it is not F8 on TV. Good luck with a match. They also filled in the gills with tin foil and muddled over the quarters. Nuts.

cuda dad

I went to a show at the Shelby Grounds in Santa Fe Springs.  It was in the spring of 1985.  I took a couple of pictures of the car and briefly met Randy.  It was before I saw the magazine article.  I have more pictures of other cars and behind the scenes photos inside Shelby's garage.  The General Lee Wheel Stander was pretty cool too!

cuda dad

I guess giving up that '69 M-code was worth it, huh?  Not to mention the convertible Barracuda.  That's a cool 'cuda.

autoxcuda

Blue challenger is owned by fellow club member. Identical today.

Haven't seen the Red survivor Hemi Cuda in years. Nice owner. Met him in a pick a part once.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

1 Wild R/T

I've got photos of all those cars back in that time frame.... 

RzeroB

:takealook:  Funny but that 2nd pic of the guy looking under the hood of Randy G's car almost looks like ... ME!!
Cheers!
Tom