Main Menu

Shipping to Canada

Started by Cdnchallenger, March 18, 2019, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cdnchallenger

My apologies if this has been asked before. Just curious if I buy a product from a US based vendor and have it shipped to Canada do I pay customs and duty charges on top of the regular shipping charges?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

blown motor

I think it depends on the value of the item. I've had smaller items mailed to me and they just come through like regular mail. Even smaller boxes that are sent parcel post. I'm not sure how it works with bigger items. Also, something to be aware of is that there should be no state tax applied to your purchase since it's being sent out of state. I learned that from the good people at Roseville Moparts.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

benlavigne

Depends a lot of shipment method...
AVOID UPS at any cost! They will charge full customs duty and a brokerage fee, you sometimes end up with more feesthanthe item is worth, always a surprise...
DO USE USPS (Postal service), package will simply come in the regular mail, and 90% of the time there will be no customs. In all cases, have the sender put the true value of the item on the forms, and buy the cheap insurance, if anything happens, you"ll be glad you did.
Amazon usually put the fees upfront before shipment so there are usually no surprises.

Ben

anlauto

With small stuff it's like 50/50 whether or not you pay 13% tax....but YES most larger items you will and of course There is a brokerage fee. CBSA is $9.95 but others like UPS can charge whatever they want ! :verymad:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Hey something I may actually know something about!

The technical rule is all goods over 20 dollars, sent by courier, are subject to duties and taxes. Most commonly it's not applied on smaller items, but the customs act allows for it.  Brokerage firms like UPS etc. sometimes charge a flat rate duty which is payed weather the good is subject to duties or not. I live so close to the border that I tend to go and pick up stuff to avoid all of that mess.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Chryco Psycho

Short answer is Yes
If the value is under $100 or so it is not worth the time / cost to charge the taxes & Duty . Otherwise it should get charged the extra .
UPS as above .... Never Ever use UBS , I ordered a a$30 part & Specified Not to ship UPS , it it arrives at the door with a brown Garbage truck , the driver wants $88 , in fees , I just laughed & told him to keep it !!
I contacted the seller & asked him what was specified about shipping to which he replied "USPS Only" so I told him to ship me another one & he could file a claim for the first one he sent up , he could not believe the charges either . The  best bet is to ship to at depot at the border  & go pick it up & import it in person on anything expensive .

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2019, 10:19:29 AM
With small stuff it's like 50/50 whether or not you pay 13% tax....but YES most larger items you will and of course There is a brokerage fee. CBSA is $9.95 but others like UPS can charge whatever they want ! :verymad:
And UPS usually wants a lot!

72 challenger is spot on rules wise, but in my experience, it take a value of about $80cdn for the 13% hst/brokerage to be charged at the border.  (UPS however will add a $45 brokerage fee to a $10 part)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

It's going to get a lot worse shortly. I would suggest Canadians import all the parts they figure they are going to need in the near future.
Sheldon

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

72 Challenger

Quote from: dodj on March 19, 2019, 03:20:13 AM
Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2019, 10:19:29 AM
And UPS usually wants a lot!

72 challenger is spot on rules wise

I may or may not work at Canada border Services. There is no set value that Officers are told to not look at. It's up to the officers discretion. As postal is such a high volume and only growing, items are often overlooked when under a certain value. HOWEVER. Lying to CBSA is a national pastime here in Canada. From time to time, even low value shipments need to be inspected. That's why a lot of people say it's 50/50.

I will over simplify but most car parts are duty free, mainly what applies is GST. Most people who cross the border don't make the difference. They just assume if CBSA took money = customs duties.

It's obviously a lot more complex then that, especially with Commercial importations.

Recently a brokerage was sued for taking in money that it was not due and had to refund a ton of fees. I think it was in the USA though? don't quote me on that.
Someday I will have a J0b.

jimynick

Yep, what the man said. Also, be aware that if you have a mail box in the US and it's in the same state as your parts supplier, you're going to get dinged for their state tax,  so I try to not buy from New York suppliers in my case. The border guys are hit and miss; I don't lie to them about value, as I had one occasion early on, where I didn't have the invoice and they took the stuff into their lair and got on the internet and confirmed what I'd told them and I was damn glad I hadn't BS'd them, because then you're a target everytime you go back and who needs the misery? I have also used USPS and they are good- period. Add my name to the list of those screwed by UPS and who will never use them at all.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

BIGSHCLUNK

I know a certain member here that has things shipped to his inlaws and comes down to pick the stuff up...  :pokeeye:

Slotts

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on March 20, 2019, 02:07:02 PM
I know a certain member here that has things shipped to his inlaws and comes down to pick the stuff up...  :pokeeye:

I thought I was the only one that knew about that!  :haha: :rofl:
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Slotts on March 20, 2019, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on March 20, 2019, 02:07:02 PM

I thought I was the only one that knew about that!  :haha: :rofl:

:haha:  :rofl: hell I not only know but may have been involved a time or two.....  :banana:    :rofl:

bcbassfishing

Living in Canada can really suck sometimes... we pay threw the nose for stuff.  My old business I used to just double the catolog price and would be pretty close usually.  I had so many issues with getting taxidermy forums delivered they would often split my order up, deliver 1 box a day and nail me $60-100 per time.   I went down on the 3rd day right at opening and demanded my 3rd part and they still try'd to charge me a delivery fee of $40!  After blowing a gasket and me threating to call the cops they let me walk out with my package at no cost. (nor should there have been, tracking showed all 3 boxes arrived at the same time )  I love Bass Pro Shops and consider it my second home but pricing is not even close to inline with you guys south of the boarder and it's really frusterating.  I used to use a hot rod shop for all my parts from the states and even with him making his cut it was always cheeper for me in the long run including shipping.