Main Menu

Should I save or toss these parts?

Started by 318Stroker, October 16, 2020, 10:19:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

318Stroker

I'm cleaning out my garage and came across old parts from 15 years ago when I restored my 73 Challenger. I moved the bumpers in to look like a 72, so I have front and rear bumper brackets, and the huge chrome/rubber bumper guards, which have bad chrome. Would there be any interest in any of these, or should I toss them, as I'm inclined to do?

Burdar

73 rear bumper brackets are a 1 year only item.  My original ones were shot so I had to find nice used ones when I restored my car.  Someone should be able to use them.  :alan2cents:

318Stroker

Quote from: 318Stroker on October 16, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
I'm cleaning out my garage and came across old parts from 15 tears ago when I restored my 73 Challenger. I moved the bumpers in to look like a 72, so I have front and rear bumper brackets, and the huge chrome/rubber bumper guards, which have bad chrome. Would there be any interest in any of these, or should I toss them, as I'm inclined to do?

Thanks Darren. I will save them for now. They are crusty, but hopefully I can blast them and they will clean up. Would love to find a home for them beside the dumpster. What's your opinion on the bumper guards? Chrome is shot, but the rubbers are good? Also, opinion on fronts. Looks like I have one side only, in very nice condition.

Rich G.

Someone who wants the car to look original will want them. I don't like them but I had to buy them for the car I restored back to the original look.

Burdar

Someone will want them but it all depends on how bad you need that stuff gone.  Maybe it would be easier to just give them to someone with a larger parts stash who can take the time to find the right buyer. 

I should really look for a mint set of front rubber pieces.  Mine were all pitted so I "high build" primed and wet sanded them.  Then painted them with SEM Trim Black.  They looked good but I got a little too close to the front of the trailer when I was loading it and one is now all cracked.  I'd like to have some that don't need filling and painting.

dodj

@Burdar
Along the same lines, I have a '73 seat belt interlock relay out of my Challenger. The one from the right side of the glove box. I don't know if you took the originality that far but if you want the relay, I'll send it to you. Otherwise I'll toss it.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

Everyone used to throw the big bumper guards away but now guys are putting them back on restorations and nice ones ( the rubber part) are tough to find
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Burdar

QuoteAlong the same lines, I have a '73 seat belt interlock relay out of my Challenger. The one from the right side of the glove box. I don't know if you took the originality that far but if you want the relay, I'll send it to you. Otherwise I'll toss it.

Whatever relays were there originally were put back.  It seems to be working so I don't think I need another one but thanks.

TGGodfrey

If you don't want them and need them gone.... donate them to someone who will sit on them for the cost of shipping.  Original parts will be hard to get for
Someone who wants them.