Main Menu

Side exit exhaust

Started by xx88man, February 12, 2018, 08:28:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I am looking for opinions on AAR T/A style exhaust. I always thought I wanted this on my Cuda but I would like honest opinions from guys that have owned these cars before I go that way. Do the exhaust fumes pour into the cabin or not too bad? I intend to drive the car a lot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

303 Mopar

I had the AAR exhaust set up on my Cuda. No fumes at all and good rumble.  However, the mufflers hang down low enough that they are noticeable from the rear which bothered me, the chrome tips will get beat up if you drive the car, and the configuration effected the power output.

xx88man

Thanks for your input Dan...I appreciate it! So did you change from that style exhaust or don't worry about the things you pointed out?
Keep yer foot in it

IRON MAN

I've had side exhaust on other cars and only smelled exhaust sitting at a red light with a tail wind. One car was my daily commute car for 13 years. As far as the T/A exhaust, it seems a two-pass exhaust system would be more restrictive because of the exhaust pipe bends. I prefer the quad tips out the back over the look of side exhaust.

303 Mopar

Quote from: xx88man on February 12, 2018, 10:27:09 AM
Thanks for your input Dan...I appreciate it! So did you change from that style exhaust or don't worry about the things you pointed out?

Yes, but in steps.  First, was to ditch the AAR style mufflers and the "S" curved pipe and go to straight pipes (first two pics).  This not only helped cosmetically by cleaning up the hanging mufflers, but noticeably helped the performance of my 340 and actually sounded better to me.  But I still had 2" pipes, and once I did the 392 swap these did not allow enough flow.  So, I stepped up to 3" pipe and the Boom Tubes (last pic).   

RUNCHARGER

No restrictions there. If you inject it you won't smell the exhaust either.
Sheldon

xx88man

Great advice here. Thanks guys! :cheers:
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

And still another option... Spintech mufflers with oval side exits...

cuda hunter

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 12, 2018, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: xx88man on February 12, 2018, 10:27:09 AM

Yes, but in steps.  First, was to ditch the AAR style mufflers and the "S" curved pipe and go to straight pipes (first two pics).  This not only helped cosmetically by cleaning up the hanging mufflers, but noticeably helped the performance of my 340 and actually sounded better to me.  But I still had 2" pipes, and once I did the 392 swap these did not allow enough flow.  So, I stepped up to 3" pipe and the Boom Tubes (last pic).

Did Gerald make or install that system?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

303 Mopar

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 12, 2018, 06:03:43 PM
And still another option... Spintech mufflers with oval side exits...

I believe this is what the Hotchkis E-Max T/A is running, or something very similar.

303 Mopar

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 12, 2018, 06:33:18 PM
Did Gerald make or install that system?

No, this straight pipes were at a local muffler shop. The boom tubes were installed at another mopar shop that also did the subframe connectors at the same time.

With Gerald's new guy though, he may be able to now because I believe he did some exhaust work at his previous shop. It's worth an ask since the time is right on the Road Warrior!

WarBird

Do you or anyone know who made the exhaust system in the second photo and if you do is there any contact information? Thanks all !

Cuda Cody

@303 Mopar

Quote from: WarBird on December 18, 2019, 09:02:19 AM
Do you or anyone know who made the exhaust system in the second photo and if you do is there any contact information? Thanks all !

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 18, 2019, 09:11:14 AM
@303 Mopar

Dr Gas Boom Tube exhaust - http://www.drgas.com/-Boom-Tube-full-length-non-muffler-type_p_38.html

wingcarenvy

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 18, 2019, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 18, 2019, 09:11:14 AM
@303 Mopar

Dr Gas Boom Tube exhaust - http://www.drgas.com/-Boom-Tube-full-length-non-muffler-type_p_38.html

@303 Mopar I think he was referring to the straight exhaust with the original tips and X pipe. I am curious about what muffler is in the second pic also.