Main Menu

Special Packages

Started by tparker, February 10, 2021, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I have a Western Sport Special Challenger. One of about 1000 made according to http://www.challengerspecs.com/1970challenger_western_special.htm. A base challenger with a dress up kit essentially. It was only offered in a few regions. But it got me wondering how many other packages are out there, whether it was a dealer special like the Yenko Camaro or official from the factory. Any examples? Any really cool ones?

PLY474

Mustang had the California Special and the High Country Special in the 60's.  Both were dress-up packages for specific markets like the WSS.   
https://www.mustangspecs.com/1968-ford-mustang-high-country-specials/
https://www.mustangspecs.com/1968-ford-mustang-california-specials/

There was a WSS on ebay that I regret not buying.  Almost 8 years ago and still think about it.  Congrats on yours. 

autoxcuda

70 Hurst Chrysler 300 was finished offsite I believe.

You could consider 69 1/2 A12 six packs and T/A and AAR's as factory made limited specials

As for dealer modified you have Grand Spaulding Dodge modified cars. They would perform modifications. But their only true dealer "package" car was the 72 GSS Demon and 68 GSS 440 Dart.

There was a 68 and 69 Barracuda Savage GT. More extensive mods like Shelby situation. But no factory connection like Shelby.

Closest thing to a COPO Chevy type deal was the 71 and 72 Dodge Dart 340 swingers. Special made for a couple? Dealers in Canada.

The WSS was a trim package with a sticker. Much like the earlier White Hat Dodge specials that were just a combinations of already available options and trim.

Plymouth and Dodge had some Sport Specials. The Dart Sport Special got a badge. And they offered a 68 Barracuda Sport Special. Both were just trim options
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

JH27N0B

JS29

Dodge Dart hang-10 edition.  :alan2cents:

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70/6chall

The 1976 Dart Lite "Spirit of 76" was another one of those special package cars.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Even though it wasn't a "special" package, I've always had a soft spot for the Twister  :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

I would consider the WSS a factory "package" car - other E-bodies: (the TWISTERS would "qualify" for an A-body)

A51 - 1972-'74 Barracuda Sport
A53 - 1970 T/A Challengers & AAR'cudas
A57 - 1973-'74 Rallye Challengers
A66 - 1970 340 Challengers
A78 - 1971 formal roof Challengers
A91 - 1970 Western Sport Special Challengers
A93 - 1970-'71 Challenger & Barracuda "coupes"

6bblgt

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 10, 2021, 02:49:15 PM
Another limited edition trim package was the Blues Barracuda which were sold in St Louis.
http://showroom.auction123.com/overstreet_house_of_cars/inventory/9508/1970/PLYMOUTH/BARRACUDA/BH23G0B154796.html

they (~25 white & blue 383 2bbl Gran Coupes) were loaned (or other) for the season to the hockey players/team & later sold as lightly used/demo/other
the season ran from 10/69 to 5/70 - St. Louis Blues were swept by the Boston Bruins 4-0 for the Stanley Cup

there is also another similar sized group of red & black 318 Gran Coupes scheduled a week before the "Blue's Barracudas"  :dunno:  but haven't heard of a purpose/customer/promotion?

:huh:
odd that the Barracuda in the link - is a 318 Barracuda with 2-tone paint & built about 2-months after the 383 2bbl Blue's Barracuda Gran Coupes
wonder if it was built as an addition, to replace a damaged car, built for a fan, a dealer or has nothing to do with the hockey team ??  :thinking:

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on February 10, 2021, 06:58:48 PM
Even though it wasn't a "special" package, I've always had a soft spot for the Twister  :D
Hah! I had one of those!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cuda hunter

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2021, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: JH27N0B on February 10, 2021, 02:49:15 PM
Another limited edition trim package was the Blues Barracuda which were sold in St Louis.
http://showroom.auction123.com/overstreet_house_of_cars/inventory/9508/1970/PLYMOUTH/BARRACUDA/BH23G0B154796.html

they (~25 white & blue 383 2bbl Gran Coupes) were loaned (or other) for the season to the hockey players/team & later sold as lightly used/demo/other
the season ran from 10/69 to 5/70 - St. Louis Blues were swept by the Boston Bruins 4-0 for the Stanley Cup

there is also another similar sized group of red & black 318 Gran Coupes scheduled a week before the "Blue's Barracudas"  :dunno:  but haven't heard of a purpose/customer/promotion?

:huh:
odd that the Barracuda in the link - is a 318 Barracuda with 2-tone paint & built about 2-months after the 383 2bbl Blue's Barracuda Gran Coupes
wonder if it was built as an addition, to replace a damaged car, built for a fan, a dealer or has nothing to do with the hockey team ??  :thinking:

What other info do you have on the red and blacks?  I've not seen these before. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

SgtSuperbird

6bblgt

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 11, 2021, 05:43:58 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2021, 08:33:58 PM

What other info do you have on the red and blacks?  I've not seen these before.

1970 Gran Coupes - red w/black interior & top - 318 / auto / air - front & rear rubber bumpers & mirrors - at least 19 of them identical & consecutively VIN'd