Main Menu

Standard to Rallye Dash Conversion

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, November 10, 2017, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I know this subject has been touched on before but I am not sure I fully understand. For anyone who has standard gauges and wants to go to Rallye gauges, what specifically do they need to buy. Second question, what parts are shared between both set ups. Lastly, I see they sell many new e-body gauges and parts online from Classic Industries. Rather than hunting down secondhand parts can someone do it with all new stuff or are their parts that must be sourced and rebuilt.

I'm trying to find the best route to do this conversion as I prefer the look of the Rallye gauges in our cars.

Chryco Psycho

There are about 4 versions of the Ralley Gauges
So to need to figure out which ones you need if you care , 70 - 71 had 8 K tack & the adjusters were beside the gauges , after that they had 7k tack & adjusters through the clear gauge lens , into 73 they had a seat belt light to the right of the gauges .
All of the switches will cross over but you will need the Ralley Dash frame , lens , turn signal tubes , switch panel face plate & also the heater control panel as it is notched for std gauges & a 4 light light bar , 70 Chall was different again too .
The wiring will work but you need to extend a few wires to reach individual gauges & add the power & signal wore fro the tach

Jay Bee

Along with the added tach wires, you'll have to splice into the oil lamp wire and put the proper end on it for the oil gauge. Along with that you'll have to replace the oil sending unit too.

The rallye gauge set-up also utilizes the 4 bulb rallye light bar, but the standard one will still work.

larry4406

Saw recently that someone makes a small "adapter" wire harness to plug into the standard dash wiring to adapt it to the rallye dash needs so no cutting needed.  Can't remember vendor though.

Found the link from Real Time Engineering
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-74-Mopar-E-body-Non-Rallye-Rallye-Dash-Conversion-Harness-Challenger-/161468674991?vxp=mtr&hash=item25984873af

Chryco Psycho

Roadman

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting.  I'm going to look into it, I'm sure I could handle that.   :rebelflag"

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I plan to use new wire harnesses in the car. But sounds like the main thing is I will need a Rallye dash frame as the big one. I bought a complete ebody rallye dash from a neighbor for $135 back in the 90s and feel stupid I sold it at the Nats one year to fund my Lil Red Express build. Wish I had just kept it and found the money elsewhere.

I appreciate everyone's input. Let's keep adding to this list to help others.

Racer57

When buying a '70 rallye dash, you can save a few bucks getting a 71-74 back plate (with seat belt light hole on right side) then put '70 face plate on it.

CudaHead

I sent email to the guy on EBay that makes the kit. He was not aware that the auction had finished. He said he would relist it on Monday (11/20th)
I'm going to buy one.