Main Menu

Steering Column Hazard Switch Question: Am I missing something?

Started by HemiStan, April 13, 2020, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HemiStan

Good afternoon! 

I am working on my '70 steering column (parts are dated between August and September of 69).  My Hazard switch seems to be a different shape than others I have seen.  Is it correct or am I missing something?  It just seems odd that the switch doesn't cover the weird cut-out shape of the column piece. 

Also, I am assuming that two holes drilled in the piece are not correct??

Thanks! 

Stan

73chalngr

The space at the hazard switch is for A01 ? Light  I believe      and holes should not be there IMO. Maybe someone mount an aftermarket tach that way ?

Joegrapes

I just looked at mine from 11-1969 and the switch looks exactly like yours. The color is even faded like yours. But I don't have the two holes you have.

headejm

@HemiStan   :iagree: Something is not right. Check out my pics. Hope they help.  :cheers:

P.S. Shouldn't have those two holes on a 1970 column.

JS29

Someone mounted an aftermarket tachometer on there, judging by the location.  :alan2cents:

HemiStan

OK.   Thanks for the replies!   It is making sense now (I think).   The holes are definitely not factory.   It also looks like this column did not come with the "Light Package" which wouldn't have had the circled light part.   So, I guess I am good to go and should continue with the restoration of the column??

Thanks again!

Stan

JS29

Counter sink the two holes and fill them with JB weld.  :idea:

Cuda Cody

1970 Flasher.

Last photo is 1970 vs 1971.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HemiStan

Thanks for the photos, Cody!    So......     It looks like I don't even have the correct switch at all.    It must have been swapped out at some point in the past with a replacement.

Stan

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yup, that's a reproduction replacement.  The originals had a small wheel that made contact with the horn.  The reproductions do not.  Plus the flasher is the dead giveaway.

HemiStan

Sounds good!   Time to spend more money.....    This car is becoming very expensive.....   :)

JS29

Quote from: HemiStan on April 14, 2020, 07:43:29 AM
Sounds good!   Time to spend more money.....    This car is becoming very expensive.....   :)
:bigmoney: Three camaro's or mustang's to one E-body.  :yes: