Main Menu

T/A with Gator

Started by torredcuda, August 04, 2019, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

T/A with Gator grain and vinyl/cloth I saw at a show today, kind of rare I would think?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

My T/A was Gator Grain & EF8...

70 Challenger Lover

Is there a source for gator grain tops that aren't $2000?  I love the look of the tops and it would be cool to do a car someday like that but damn it's a lot of money.

JH27N0B

The tops are low volume sellers so I guess it's fortunate they are available at all.
There is an F4 Gator top T/A parked next to my '71 at the storage building.  It's a "going to fix it someday" car that I'm told has been stored there around 25 years!
Since there apparently is no market for my 71, I hope it doesn't end up there 25 years (currently 3+ and counting minus the 3 weeks I had it out last September).  :crying:

Shoooter

Sounds like a cool storage facility.  As for the gator top, mopar had some cool ideas back in the day

JH27N0B

There's a yellow 70 cuda in the storage building too, runs and decent condition but the owner hasn't drove it much in years and apparently has little interest in driving it.
Most of the gator grain T/As I've seen have been F4 green.  There is a FT6 one that a member I think here, or else cuda-Challenger.com, from North Carolina has.  And the B3 one that Mecum has auctioned several times over the years.  I actually bid on it in '08, luckily didn't win.  It's a cool combo, but restored from a rust bucket and not the best restored example of a T/A out there to say the least.
Ive seen a black with gator grain '70 Coronet 500 around here.  I wonder if by any chance a black gator top T/A was ever made? I've also seen a project 70 V code gator top R/T Charger in the area that's FK5, so that's another combo I wonder if a T/A exists in.

6bblgt

all 1970 V1G "gator grain" vinyl tops were BROWN when new (1970 NOS pictured) - that's why there were recommended color combinations that the V1G vinyl top was available with
the color didn't survive well & quickly turned to "black" (well used original Sport Fury S/23 with V1G top pictured)
there was a "baby gator grain" vinyl top introduced in 1972 - it is GREEN (1972 NOS pictured)

SMS makes a custom BLACK "gator grain" vinyl top (pictured) ~ 1/2 the cost of the OE BROWN top

6bblgt

I've seen T/As coded for V1G with the following exterior colors:
EB3 - light blue metallic
EB5 - bright blue metallic
EB7 - dark blue metallic
EF8 - dark green metallic
FF4 - light green metallic
FE5 - bright red
FT6 - dark tan metallic
FY4 - light gold metallic

floorit426

FK5