Main Menu

The End Is Here for Hellcat Engines

Started by 71vert340, November 23, 2021, 06:17:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

Dodge was paying fines for the engine, yet they said it can meet emissions standards?

Any word on the SRT 6.4 motors and truck motors?  those are pretty high output too

cuda hunter

Get ready for your EV.    Terrible Terrible news. 

Electric vehicles are going to ruin this country.  Infrastructure can not handle it. 

Oh wait!  We have an infrastructure plan that is going to save the day.

Seriously, Ford says no more gas motors past 2029.  Now dodge is getting out of gas engines. 

Has no one seen the people in California not able to run their air conditioners due to simple overload? 
Not that the state is the only one.  Prepare yourselves brothers.  This is bigger than just changing engines. 
China is doing to us what we did to the ussr.  This will be disastrous for our country.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: cuda hunter on November 23, 2021, 08:13:38 AM

Electric vehicles are going to ruin this country.  Infrastructure can not handle it. 

Seriously, Ford says no more gas motors past 2029.  Now dodge is getting out of gas engines. 

Has no one seen the people in California not able to run their air conditioners due to simple overload? 
Not that the state is the only one.  Prepare yourselves brothers.  This is bigger than just changing engines. 
China is doing to us what we did to the ussr.  This will be disastrous for our country.

I'm not understanding what China has to do with this?  Aren't we doing this to ourselves??? :notsure:

DeathProofCuda

Will be interesting to see what this does to Hellcat prices over the next few years.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on November 23, 2021, 09:48:32 AM

I'm not understanding what China has to do with this?  Aren't we doing this to ourselves??? :notsure:

Yea, I don't see China writing our legislations to push for "green energy"   This is coming from our own politicians.

Also, I don't quite agree with the complete doom and gloom outlook.   The electricity to charge a vehicle is cheaper than the gasoline to run the engine.  Especially if you have access to your own solar panels or wind energy.   While I do agree that there are rolling brown-outs during peak demand periods, I also don't foresee electric vehicles from negatively impacting the grid.  The brown-outs are usually in the daytime, when the sun is the hottest, and AC is working the hardest.  Most electric vehicle owners are going to be plugging in overnight when the heat of the day has subsided and there's less draw from AC trying to cool things down.    Also, with 220v or even 480 if you can get it; charge times are fairly quick.  Couple hours at most.   This means you can put your charger on a timer to charge your vehicle between midnight and 5 am when everyone is asleep, not watching TV, lights in the house are off, etc.

Electric motors are way more efficient than gasoline.   There is not "sweet spot" or powerband on an electric motor.  They make maximum torque at 0 RPM and maintain that through the entire RPM range. 

Are electric vehicles going to be the end-all cure to global warming?  No. Not by a long shot.
Are electric vehicles going to be a viable alternative or even supplement to gasoline vehicles? Absolutely.

We as a family are doing the cost analysis now to decide if we want to buy one to add to our fleet.  We will always maintain at least 1 vehicle with an internal combustion engine for those once every 100 years natural disaster where power is out for several days. 

But, to avoid turning this into a debate on electric vehicles... Again, what fines was Dodge paying for an engine that allegedly meets emissions standards?

71vert340

[/quote]
China is buying up many of the Cobalt mines which is used in the production of electric vehicles. With gas engines unavailable and EVs beyond the price we can afford, we will be at the whim of China and our own government. I don't want to get political but that is the connection I see. Note the last paragraph in the attached article.
https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/us-news/hunter-bidens-firm-helped-china-get-control-over-vast-cobalt-mine-in-africa-report.html
Terry W.

DeathProofCuda

I'm no EV proponent, but personally I've always been a bit surprised that the present-day IC horsepower war lasted as long as it did.  We'll get what, a good 15 year run out of the modern-day Challengers?  Three times longer than their original run.  I never really imagined that the market for 700+ horsepower cars was that big, but what do I know?  I live in a place where everyone has traded in their gas guzzling Prius for a Tesla. :drunk:

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Mopsquad

As a poster said above, it's been a substantial run for these cars with 8-9 years out of a 700+ HP car.  I drive a Hellcat daily and I'm surprised how many of these monsters are out there as daily drivers. 

At least with the EV cars, it's not a step down in performance like it was in the early seventies when the HP wars ended.

ragtopdodge

sky's not falling.

With gas at $4.00/gall +, we all could use more efficient powerplants.

I'm all for hybrids getting 50MPG and 500+ HP.

7212Mopar

The power needed to charge EVs is small when compare to going carbon neutral. Many local jurisdictions in CA is pushing to eliminate the burning of natural gas for space heating, cooking, drying your clothes. All new residential buildings will be all electric. Will be interesting how quickly the utilities can add to distribution infrastructure.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

FSHTAIL

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on November 23, 2021, 09:48:32 AM

Senator John Kerry uses China labor to produce his solar panels, one would say he is closely benefiting from using slave labor for green energy.   

If you want to get all tin foil hat about this, I think that's the only reason why some of these people are pushing for these green agendas, they have money to gain by doing so
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 23, 2021, 08:21:14 PM
Many local jurisdictions in CA is pushing to eliminate the burning of natural gas for space heating, cooking, drying your clothes.

I am against the government forcing us into 1 kind of energy.  Electric to heat your house, dryer, water, etc is typically MORE expensive than using propane or natural gas.   All of them are more expensive than using wood to heat your house if you have the physical ability to go cut, split and stack your own firewood.

That's the thing about "Green energy"  If done right, it puts 'Green' into your pocket by saving you money.   Reduce your electric bill by supplementing it with solar or wind.  Reduce your fuel bill by adding 1 electric vehicle to your fleet.  Reduce total energy consumption by having a well insulated house with high efficiency windows, doors, appliances, switching to LED lighting, etc.

When the government says "you must use this type of energy for ____________" that's when you need to question it, and resist it.  When the technology advances enough to lower the cost of higher efficiency sources of energy, or the benefit from the new technology is so high, then people will WANT it, and not be forced into it.

The use of whale oil or kerosene lighting wasn't forced out by the government.  The lightbulb was so good, everyone wanted to switch