Main Menu

The End Is Here for Hellcat Engines

Started by 71vert340, November 23, 2021, 06:17:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Dont worry about the electric infrastructure not being there for electric vehicles!!  Our electric infrastructure today is light years ahead of what the gasoline infrastructure was in 1908 when Ford brought out the model T.   

Regarding the fines paid by Chrysler for the Hellcat engine, it isnt because of pollution, instead its a gas guzzler tax !!

The price of electric vehicles will come down, when the producers quit giving it to us in only HIGH END vehicles and they have started to do that.   Back in 2007 the Hybrid option for a Camry would cost about $7,000 more than a standard Camry SE...but that was only because it was only available in the top-of-the-line model.   Today a loaded Camry SE starts at $27,535 and a Camry SE Hybrid starts at $28,915 only about $1,500 more and you can even get the hybrid option in the base Camry LE.    I imagine that when car makers switch to an all electric Camry it will be about the same...i.e about $1-$2,000 more and will save way more than that in fuel costs over its lifetime.   

You know what i will miss the most ?   The sound !!!   My 74 Challenger which i will keep until i'm dead, makes the most exhilarating sound with its stroked 360 and flowmaster 40 mufflers.   I drove it in the Raleigh Xmas parade last saturday and the spectators would yell..."rev it up" and then applauded when i gunned it !!   Dodge says there will be plenty of sound with their coming electric muscle cars.  I cant wait !!

gygeneral

What I am waiting for is to see how the governments are going to pay for new roads. Up here in Canada 1/2 the cost of gas is taxes that is used to pay for new roads, bridges etc... If you think about it the electric car is not paying its fair share for using the roads, but that will change I'm sure. People are comparing the cost of both types of vehicles but right now its not a fair comparision. Electric vehicles will get more expensive to drive based on todays numbers.

Dmod1974

Coincidentally, I just ordered my Hellcrate engine yesterday.  Glad I did since I'm sure there will be clowns panic buying and driving up prices on them and creating a shortage that wasn't there just like we've seen in the last year with ammo, toilet paper, dust masks, and nitrile gloves.

HP_Cuda

I don't believe CA will force folks away from natural gas as it's a viable bridge to go from petroleum to electric over a number of years. NatGas puts off 1/2 the CO2 that regular gas does.

This totally reminds me of a scene from Oh Brother! (Progress....)

Starts at 53 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RTPdAAdw30
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Mopsquad

As mentioned above, gasoline is moderately to heavily taxed and is a source of income for governments.  Where's that shortfall going to be made up from?  :bigmoney:

john dodge

time to order up big and stash away for later!

Joegrapes

The oil companies are just cutting their own throats. The best way to get people to drive electric cars is to keep raising gas prices. Every time the price of gas makes a big jump people start looking at EVs. With the cost of an EV coming down, the choice of EVs going up and the battery technology getting better it's only a matter of time before the vast majority of people drive an EV. You can fight technology all you want but you can't stop it. But you can make it work for you. I'll bet the guy that owned a few horses was calling Henry Ford every name in the book when he saw his first Model T drive by.

7212Mopar

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 24, 2021, 01:26:04 PM

I don't believe CA will force folks away from natural gas as it's a viable bridge to go from petroleum to electric over a number of years. NatGas puts off 1/2 the CO2 that regular gas does.

This totally reminds me of a scene from Oh Brother! (Progress....)

Starts at 53 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RTPdAAdw30

This is California. Like it or not, it is currently under review by the California Building Standard Commission to be incorporated in the State's 2023 Building Code. Not yet a reality but a very high possibility. We have Gavin in the State Capital. SF and Berkeley already have the ordinances in place. The problem is using heat pumps for space heating and domestic water heating add a big load on the electrical grid. It is same as adding air conditioners. Places with mild climates like SF that most residential buildings don't have AC units will now change. Just wait and see how this all comes down. I do agree with most that the Green movement is money motivated. If you can't beat them, join them.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Ifixmycarmyself

I don't want to get lost in the politics of things but seem some of you already touched upon it. Same situation or even worse here in Europe. Cars are untouched but we have a political proposal to ban sales of fossil fuel from 2040. Enviromentalists wants  it sooner, most doesn't want it att all but can it be avoided? We already pay close to $8/gallon and prise will increase to phase out fuel sooner, already from 2030, according same proposals. Gives us a good 8 year to enjoy the hobby in worst case. What are we doing then with all the mopars? We can always restore them over and over waiting for the climate change not to happen and things go back to normal  :) Will this affect the prices of our cars, and are they still good investments?  :dunno:

Filthy Filbert

When 'they' ban the sale of gasoline (if we ever get that far with this craziness) I know how to make my own biofuel, so I will at least be able to keep a classic toy fed well enough for play time.

Some of you touched on electric vehicles and fuel tax for roads.    Ohio's last gas tax hike bill included a higher annual registration fee for electric vehicles to offset the taxes they don't pay in gas.

I'd have to look it up but it was only like $100.   I cry foul at that.  I pay $100 in state fuel tax every month. 

70vert

@chargerdon  "Regarding the fines paid by Chrysler for the Hellcat engine, it isnt because of pollution, instead its a gas guzzler tax !!"   

The gas guzzler tax is on the window sticker so paid by the buyer not Chrysler. Unless that is just a portion of it.

70vert

Quote from: Mopsquad on November 24, 2021, 01:41:40 PM
As mentioned above, gasoline is moderately to heavily taxed and is a source of income for governments.  Where's that shortfall going to be made up from?  :bigmoney:

One way I have heard thrown out is to charge per miles driven, which would actually make sense. For those states that have inspections they probably already have access to mileage and for those that don't they will come up with something.

chargerdon

Quote from: 70vert on November 25, 2021, 07:30:27 PM
@chargerdon  "Regarding the fines paid by Chrysler for the Hellcat engine, it isn't because of pollution, instead its a gas guzzler tax !!"   

The gas guzzler tax is on the window sticker so paid by the buyer not Chrysler. Unless that is just a portion of it.

Ultimately every cost is paid by the buyer.   Some direct some indirect.   Chrysler no longer makes any compact vehicles so i'll bet they are not meeting the CAFE requirements and are paying fines for that...and that doesn't show up on the window sticker, but, every cost is eventually paid by the consumer.    Similarly our government provides us with services.  Those include building roads, schools, police forces, protecting us with our military, etc.   All of those services are costs that are paid for with tax dollars, and they will find ways to collect enough to provide us with those services, and to pay for their ridiculously high salaries !! 

Ultimately we will all be driving Electric Vehicles because not only do they not pollute as much as gas vehicles and global warming is REAL, but they will eventually be less expensive to us the consumer.   Why, its simple math...when our IC vehicles create power by burning fossil fuels a huge portion of the energy is wasted as heat that our radiators have to remove !!   Other than warming us in the winter that is all wasted !!   Creation of energy is way more efficient in an electric power plant where the heat that is created is turned into energy.