Main Menu

Unfortunate accident

Started by mopar thunder, February 22, 2021, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

If the hood is fiberglass, I'd think the hinges are fine.  An E body hood is massive and if it caught enough wind to lift, that is a huge amount of force. I'm not surprised it ripped it off the hinges.

HP_Cuda

I'd just get new ones and not worry about it anymore.

Live and learn.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

chris NOS

That's terrible , i wish you the best with this situation.

soundcontrol

Damn, horrible situation! Hope it gets worked out.
He had to go pretty fast to rip the hood, it happened to me once,
and I was going around 40mph, but I hit the brakes quick and managed to stop before the hood was all the way up.
Not fiberglass though.

mopar thunder

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2021, 04:42:19 PM
Gotta love guys like that. So who does he think SHOULD pay for it?

At first he said he would the day it happened then he said he thinks I should pay for 50%. The most recent he said he would pay for all of it when I mentioned my lawyer. But he didn't give the autobody shop what was required so already thinknig the worst.

nsmall

Like your other thread, I am cheering for you and hoping for the best.  Hopefully this is the last major hurdle you have to jump with this car.

mopar thunder

Well here is an update. He once again backed out and the last text he sent me was he wants me to pay 50%. He is such a S.O.B. all because i pushed my hood down the night before he thinks I am responsible, lus still pay him the $690 for basically nothing because he had no idea how to fix my issue. I called the lawyer one more time and he said just ot put it thru my insurance at this point and let the subregation team go after his insurance, that is if he has any. The lawyer said that way at least the car is in the process of repair and if the subregation team doesn't get anything then I can still take him to small claims court. At this point I just want his looser, unethical ass to be responsible for it, do what is right. I'm not good when I have to wait for other processes to work. This could go on for the next 6 months I bet. Well let's hope he has insurance and the subregation team can get this closed as soon as possible.

jimynick

You shouldn't have anything to do with the subrogation team, they work for your company and whether they get anything from buddy, shouldn't impinge on you. There is such a thing as uninsured driver coverage which kicks in if the other party has no insurance. Is that the case here? If he's a licenced driver, you should be covered by your own insurance. Check with your agent to get the finer points of your policy. As for paying for the work he did, did he provide you a work order or estimate? Does he have a business? Is he charging/paying any valid taxes? If you pay anything, pay by cheque, not cash, or he can say it never happened and do everything via email, that way you'll have a record and he can't say "that  never happened". Personally, I'd say for him to take the repair charge to you off the repair estimate and to make arrangements to pay the balance, or have the company pay it. Good luck   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

mopar thunder

Quote from: jimynick on March 21, 2021, 05:57:14 PM
You shouldn't have anything to do with the subrogation team, they work for your company and whether they get anything from buddy, shouldn't impinge on you. There is such a thing as uninsured driver coverage which kicks in if the other party has no insurance. Is that the case here? If he's a licenced driver, you should be covered by your own insurance. Check with your agent to get the finer points of your policy. As for paying for the work he did, did he provide you a work order or estimate? Does he have a business? Is he charging/paying any valid taxes? If you pay anything, pay by cheque, not cash, or he can say it never happened and do everything via email, that way you'll have a record and he can't say "that  never happened". Personally, I'd say for him to take the repair charge to you off the repair estimate and to make arrangements to pay the balance, or have the company pay it. Good luck   :cheers:

The insurance guy just received the insurance estimate so not sure if it went to subrogation yet. He never gave me an estimate, or work order. He is not a business at all and as for taxes I seriously doubt it because he only wanted cash. I'm not paying him a dime until my car gets fixed and paid for. If the subrogation team doesn't pursure this I will be going to small claims court.

70 Top Banana

:bigthumb: I agree. Make it a part of the repair and have the shop install and adjust  as needed.

70 Top Banana

Your attorney gave you good advice. If your insurance company repairs your car they can go after the guy. In fact they may be able to get your deductible out of him as well. Ask the adjuster or the agent if they can recover your deductible.
If they can't get your deductible then you will have to go to small claims court. He may do the same for the $690 and a judge May give you the deductible amount or he/she could offset one against another but I sure wouldn't pay him a dime.

mopar thunder

Thanks for all the advice and support. it's just really sad how people turn after a dollar figure comes around. The guy showed he doesn't have any integrity and lies thru his teeth. He is just a worthless piece of shit that I hope gets his in the end. 

Jay Bee

I brought this up with the shop guys doing my car, hood pin issue and all. Without thinking about it they all agreed that the driver of the car is 100% responsible for the damage.

Spikedog08

Wow that's a sad story.  Hope it all works out and the car get fixed.   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

YellowThumper

Agreed with what is the consensus. Driver is at fault.
Just ask any rig driver whose fault it is with their loads.
Doesn't matter who loads it. Driver must confirm prior to departure.
Hope he is the one who ends with the short stick.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.