Main Menu

Van Nuys Blvd. 1979

Started by Desmond, February 19, 2018, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Desmond

Cruisin' the strip in a Shaker, louvered '71

8)

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Desmond

KUSTOM!

Desmond

There are 12 galleries here. It's a real snapshot in time!

http://vnbcruisinglate70s.com/photos/

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cuda_mark

HP2

Absolutely. If nothing else, they often prove our memories of the time are not always in alignment with the reality of the times.

jordan

This is a really cool site!!!  It is truly a candid moment at a really cool place and time.  I was nine at the time, and remember the cool older kids and their cool, loud, jacked up, fat tired cars doing burnouts leaving intersections.  Lots of fuel for my imagination.  Hooked me for good.   

A few Challengers and a couple of Cudas.  Lots of Chevys.  I was surprised about the mini pickups.  I forgot that was a thing.  I love the Vans. The fashion. 

Gallery 11 has a bad ass looking black 'Cuda with Centerline rims.  That is my favorite.

How about the custom 70's Camero Z28 with a convertible top?  Never saw that before.

And the very last picture is a late 70's Dodge Challenger (or equivalent)  with passenger dude staring down the guy in a Datsun Z car. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Chryco Psycho

Great site !! I wish I could go back we had so much fun cruising in the late 70s & early 80s

7212Mopar

We had it up here at NCal. ElCamino from SF down to San Jose in various sections. I was there in the late 70s to early 80s. It was good memory and fun. There were frequent crack down by cops. Some really bad but most are just observing and tolerable unless it gets crazy.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

72 Challenger

Am I the only one that thinks that the added fender flare the back of that challenger looks like a 64-66 mustang?
Someday I will have a J0b.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 72 Challenger on February 23, 2018, 09:00:52 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that the added fender flare the back of that challenger looks like a 64-66 mustang?

Back in the day those were usually made by starting with steel rod, shaped around a tire for radius then use short lengths of steel rod tacked to the body & the rod to establish the shape followed by a cardboard template & a bunch of sheetmetal cutting, shaping & welding.... Then blending with filler...Sometimes (depending on the skill of the fabricator) really thick filler...

IRON MAN

Thanks for sharing the trip down Memory Lane. In 1969, I lived in Old Pasadena one block from Colorado Blvd. On weekend nights we would get in line and cruise down Colorado Blvd in my '55 Chevy coupe, 327, 3 speed Fenton shifter, Ford Thunderbolt tear drop hood scoop, Cragar SS mags, VW Bug bucket seats, Craig 8_track player,etc.  :banana:

HP2

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a Pantera.

captcolour

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 23, 2018, 12:14:03 PM

Back in the day those were usually made by starting with steel rod, shaped around a tire for radius then use short lengths of steel rod tacked to the body & the rod to establish the shape followed by a cardboard template & a bunch of sheetmetal cutting, shaping & welding.... Then blending with filler...Sometimes (depending on the skill of the fabricator) really thick filler...
Back in the day I had fender flares made for my '74 Duster.  Made exactly like 1 Wild R/T said.  I put M50/14's on the back and '60s on the front, and had the guy make flares out to the edges of the tires.  Came out nice.