Main Menu

Vanishing Point 50th Anniversary Run

Started by R/T's 4 R/P, September 14, 2020, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

R/T's 4 R/P

Ok...50 years since filming, not release, but you all get it.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen the movie, so always dreamed of a time when I'd be able to take the route and hit some of the filming locations.
At the beginning of the year i got to a point where the car was done and probably the most road worthy it would ever be.
Then COVID!
After 6 months of no work vacations, I needed to use up some weeks.
Then the world went on fire, both figuratively and actually!
Call fellow member Floyd...hey, do you feel like taking the Challenger to Nevada? He's in! So, we make plans.

The car is my U-code 70 R/T, 4 speed, 3.54 Dana car.
I'm not getting any younger, and I need to jump on this moment.
A road trip is probably the safest I can be, we can see God's creation while going to the locations where Mr. K was filmed!

Left Saturday from Wisconsin...in the rain. Nice start!
Sunday in Denver, pick up Floyd at the airport.
Monday AM at the location where Argo's garage was, and he left Denver.
Then to Glenwood Canyon, where he ditched the motorcycle cops.
Then to Rifle, where he out runs the cops in the first town.
Tried to capture the car at the locations below.
Tomorrow...Utah: Cisco, Hanksville, etc.

I'm 1300 miles in, average mpg is 10.2!

More to come as we progress. Stay tuned.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Scooter

It's called living the dream.... have a great time!

:twothumbsup:

DeathProofCuda

Sounds like a great idea for a road trip.  Hope that you gents have a great time.   :woohoo:  :burnout: Keep sending updates.  :cheers:

blown motor

Very cool! I'll be following this thread. Good luck on the rest of your trip.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Wow, what fun, I'm envious!  Enjoy and thanks for taking pictures!

RUNCHARGER

Terrific adventure. Good for you for just doing it!
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:twothumbsup:
What a cool trip , I bet some other members would have joined on the trip having known about it !

RUNCHARGER

Somehow I'd want to do that trip alone though.
Sheldon

dodj

8) Cool!
Safe travels. Anxiously awaiting updates...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Poolshark314

Great idea! Have a great trip and stay safe
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

R/T's 4 R/P

Having a great trip and things are going great.
Left Grand Junction this morning, went to Cisco (Utah, as this was the film site for the 'end'), went towards Hanksville.
The home of Angel and his girlfriend were supposedly near Goblin Valley Park entrance. Nothing left, but saw the area.
On the way to Hanksville is the site where Angel takes the motorbike off the roof of the Challenger. The road has been identified as Black Burn Draw, but we could not locate it.  Unless former visitors were wrong when they identified this road as east of 24. We did see the airport tower that shows up in that scene. The airport tower is on the west side of 24.
We wanted to catch a picture on that gravel road but couldn't find it.

Also near Hanksville is the site where the Jaguar tumbles into the creek. The roads and bridges have been changed since then, so we had difficulty locating the exact place.

A recommendation from another blog was to take the scenic byway, hwy 24, west of Hanksville, and that was a stunning drive. Beautiful.
Got to Richfield Utah for a late lunch and headed to Ely, Nevada. That is where we are now.
Highway 50 between Delta and Ely is beautiful but incredibly desolate.

Tomorrow is Austin and Tonopah and Goldfield.

To the question above about letting others know, this all came together at the last minute and I didn't want to worry about coordinating all the details.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

7212Mopar

I have to say you guys are very inspirational and confidence taking theses old cars across the country. I bet some Of the roads traveled that you don't see another car for many miles.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

R/T's 4 R/P

Well today we left Ely and drove to Austin, Nevada. Picture below.
Unfortunately, the cool picture of my car coming down the hill by the church wasn't possible because all of Main Street Austin is under reconstruction! It was a mess!
Drove towards Goldfield next. Of course through Tonopah. Along the way were locations where Kowalski picked up the hitchhikers in this area but the actual place is fairly nondescript. Also stopped in Carver where he gets gas. That is simply a concrete slab. See picture below.

The most exciting portion of the trip was the return back to Ely from Tonopah. 167 miles. My cars getting about 10 mpg. Made it, no problem.

Saw incredible beauty. Enjoyed it with a good friend. Drove a 70 R/T Challenger across the desert!

Inspirational? Thanks for the kind words, but I guess having a really nice car you only look at and polish gets to be drag. For many of us recalling the day when we actually drove these cars is a treat.  So, all I would offer is...enjoy them, whatever that means to you.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for sharing the pictures !! Looks like a lot of fun exploring  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

A two lane highway just is right for these cars.
Sheldon