Main Menu

Vanishing Point 50th Anniversary Run

Started by R/T's 4 R/P, September 14, 2020, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

when watching the movie, I always wonder about the poor California guy that never got his Challenger delivered.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Floyd

A shot from Hwy 50, "The Loneliest Road in America"

R/T's 4 R/P

Ok, maybe last update from the trip.
We forgot to post a picture that we found unbelievable because we could not have made this happen if we wanted to.

In the film they actually filmed the scene where he crosses into Nevada on a section of road near Tonopah. As we were driving there we came across state employees striping the road! Too funny

Last picture is a shot of 'trophies' from the trip. I will likely spend all winter cleaning the car.
We were left with great memories. We saw some incredible sites.
We still have a big chunk of drive home time coming.

A few observations:
- I forgot how sticky and sweaty a person gets sting on vinyl seats
- with the mileage we got, and Kowalski would have gotten, the cops should have just waited at the next gas station!
- we had tons of people come up to us at gas stations and elsewhere, and meeting new people is always a treat.

Bye for now
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for sharing  :bradsthumb:
Painting the stripes ... tooo funny !!

R/T's 4 R/P

Well, got home later last night. Total of 4100 miles.

Stopped at the American pickers store on the way back. Saw this poster, see below. Thought it was fitting for the adventure.
Here's a final picture of Hwy 2 running along the Rock River in Illinois.

Thanks to Bruce and my brother for joining me for portions. It was great to have someone along and enjoy the trip with.
A shout out to GlenRay, I never had any cooling issues.
Also to Dixie Restorations, I never had a charging issue.
Lastly to Andrew at Apex for dyno tuning the carb the car before I left, it ran awesome.

Cleaning this beast will be another adventure!
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Floyd

Man that car ran well!  There were some crazy long stretches with no signs of human settlement and no cell service, just humming along at 70 mph with the windows down. 

Ever wonder about taking a vintage car through the Rockies?  Here's a shot taken at the Monarch Pass Continental Divide, elevation 11,312 feet.

Thanks for letting me tag along.  It was a fantastic experience!

RUNCHARGER

Epic memories. All my Mopar memories involve driving them.
Sheldon

R/T's 4 R/P

I also forgot to add that while the adventure for the trip was incredible, it was also very interesting to put these scenes from the movie in their various regional context.
Of course, we know this is a Hollywood movie. Scenes are staged and rehearsed. The locations are not linear for an actual trip.
There are stunt drivers and numerous camera angles that can make anything seem more interesting or different.
And of course, this wasn't some great historical event, like Washington Crossing the Delaware!
However, watching the movie the next time will be more interesting as I know now what the locations and backgrounds actually look like! (A note about 'backgrounds'... Due to the wildfires in California and other places the mountains were all in a various levels of haze for most of our trip.)
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

340Challman

Quote from: Floyd on September 22, 2020, 05:47:47 AM
Man that car ran well!  There were some crazy long stretches with no signs of human settlement and no cell service, just humming along at 70 mph with the windows down. 

Ever wonder about taking a vintage car through the Rockies?  Here's a shot taken at the Monarch Pass Continental Divide, elevation 11,312 feet.

Thanks for letting me tag along.  It was a fantastic experience!

Kudos to you guys for making the trip. It had to be a blast. :twothumbsup:

A 70 Challenger at 11,312' altitude. You guys could have probably caught the unburned fuel coming out of the tail pipes and put it back in the tank.  :rofl:    :burnout:
Kevin

CNUMB

Looks like a Great trip!!! Enjoyed the read and pics!! :bradsthumb:

Mr Lee

Awesome!  Great pics. 

Thanks for letting us live vicariously.   Movie aside, I would love to drive some roads like that.  Nice scenery, open road and best of all, no traffic! 

How fast did you take 'er up to?   

Nice car btw. 

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

nsmall

What a great idea.  Just need to wait until my little ones graduate from school so around 2035 I can hit the trail.  Thanks for sharing.

cuda hunter

I've just found this thread.

Looks like it was a great time!  Glad there was no trouble with the old cars. 

Next time yal run through Salida, give me a days notice.  Yal literally stopped and had lunch one block from my house.  I can see the restaurant from my front yard. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee