Main Menu

WARNING RE-BODIED FAKE V CODE 1970 CUDA ON THE MARKET VIN NUMBER BS23V0B159582

Started by plum crazy rt, June 18, 2019, 07:19:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

plum crazy rt

WARNING RE-BODIED FAKE V CODE 1970 CUDA ON THE MARKET!!  THERE HAS BEEN MUCH CONTROVERSY REGARDING THIS CAR. HERE ARE A FEW THREADS/ LINKS I FOUND ON THIS WEB SITE

https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/help-vehicle-order-number-on-fender-tag-does-not-von-on-match-build-sheet/11420/15

https://forum.e-bodies.org/e-body-stuff-found-on-ebay-craigslist-or-anywhere-else/20/70-v-code-cuda-denver-dollar75k/2758/

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/159582-car-ad-with-bogus-tag-jpg.1715281870/ 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cars-for-sale-or-wanted/8/70-cuda-v-code/9390/ 

vin number- BS23V0B159582
location  Montnana

:madashell: I recently purchased a 1970 cuda.  After I bought it, I found out the seller had re-bodied the car and re-stamped the vin number on the cowl and radiator support as well as changed dash vin and made a repro fender tag. The seller was claiming the Cuda was a 10000 mile og car, A dealer demo car that he owned since the late 70's, purchased form the og owner. All that ended up being a lie. Its very concerning because the seller has a good reputation in the Mopar community, is well known, and actually built a black four speed 69 Charger 500 Hemi car that won Mopar Nationals.

The seller took a wrecked or pieces of a 1970 v code Cuda (BS23V0B159582) and put them on a donor body;
original motor with 159582 vin number stamped
copy of the build sheet
the dash with vin plate
re-stamped cowl and rad support
added torque boxes, and front skid plate on K member
shaker hood, rear axle
title from the v code Cuda
ect ect.

Truth be told it was a good attempt to mislead buyers. If I would have found not found the picture of the vin re-stamping in the center console I would HAVE NEVER KNOWN.

After I got the car back home to Olympia I was going through the car cleaning it and found A PICTURE OF THE VIN RE-STAMPING in the center console along with a second duplicate title for the car. After reviewing the photo copied picture (SEE BELOW)  I was shocked. The picture clearly showed the vin number being re-stamped on the cowl.  (THE SELLER FORGOT TO REMOVE THE PICTURE OF THE VIN NUMBER RE-STAMPING OUT OF THE CENTER CONSOLE)

I called him later that night and told him I found a second title for the Cuda, he was surprised and replied that he had couldn't find the title and had to apply for a lost title in 2018.
I then asked him about the picture of the cowl vin re-stamping and he got very quite. He eventually admitted to having the Cuda sent "back east" to have the cowl and radiator support vin numbers re-stamped. I was very disappointed.... I told him I want to return the car and wanted a full refund, to my surprise he agreed. I drove down a few days later and returned the car. Although he seemed very apologetic he was still not being completely forth worth with what happened and his story kept changing... Im guessing he was trying to save face and was very concerned about his reputation in the Mopar community being affected by this as he is well known and has sold many cars over the years.

I am thankful he agreed to refund my money ($57,000) and half of my traveling costs of having to drive to Montana twice in a week (over 2500 miles). It would have been nice if he refunded all my costs but nether the less am grateful I got a full refund for the car. I feel I dodged a bullet. This experience has made me realize that this is most likely not a isolated event with the seller. I am not a Mopar expert, nor do I claim to be, but when a seller takes a build sheet, title, og motor numbers matching to the title, the dash/vin, axle, and all other parts and puts them on a donor body, it makes it difficult to know that the car is a fake re-bodied car, NOT TO MENTION HAVING THE COWL AND RAD SUPPORT NUMBERS RE-STAMPED.

There are so many things the seller intentionally did that were unethical and fraudulent. Its a shame that someone would use there good reputation to mislead people and sell fake cars. Not to mention its ILLEGAL to re-stamp vin numbers and change vin plates. The seller is a retired law enforcement officer and even gave us the phone number to a certain person who is one of the stars on Grave Yard Carz to vouch for the car. The person from GYC unknowingly vouched for a fake car, it was not his fault, I will not disclose his name out of respect.  It is a shame that some one who has a good standing in the Mopar community would use other people good name to sell his fake car

I want to get the word out about this car to prevent this from happening to some one else. Its one thing to sell a re-bodied car and claim it as such, its another to sell a re-bodied car and claim its a 100% original (restored) car for top market value.

My goal of this posting IS NOT TO BASH THE SELLER, I DO HOWEVER WANT TO POST THIS SO HOPEFULLY THE NEXT PERSON INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS CAR KNOWS WHAT IT IS AS THE SELLER IS ACTIVELY STILL TRYING TO SELL THE CAR. 

any help in spreading the word on other web sites/threads about this 1970 Plymouth Cuda vin number BS23V0B159582 would be greatly appreciated.

I am still in the market for a 1970-1971 V code Cuda manual or auto, or a AAR/TA challenger manual in with around 500 miles of Oregon/Wahington state

plum crazy rt

cuda hunter

The truth finally comes out! 

Good on you for getting your cash back.  Surprising really. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

plum crazy rt

I was surprised I got my money back as well. He did the right thing by giving me back my money.

anlauto

This kind of stuff goes on all the time  :alan2cents: :tired: Sorry you didn't do more research and find out the truth before buying it. :console:

Still a real nice car for $57K  :lookatthat: , somebody who doesn't care about all this "numbers" stuff will buy it and be happy. :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for posting, glad it ended okay for you. Still a bunch of stress.
Sheldon

plum crazy rt

The car in the pictures and at first glance looks good but there are several issues with the car including rust bubbles on the rear lower quarter panels/door corners, and a amateur paint and body work, over spray all over the vinyl top. I bought the car anyways with the thought it was real and I could correct the paint, body issues.

The seller did not disclose any of those issues in the ad or over the phone.

E74cuda

Pretty much explains why the car has been on the market for so long

JS29

The reason you got your money back, in my opinion was you had proof he committed a felony. And being it crossed state lines the FBI could get involved.  Did he want the pictures back as well? For being former law enforcement, he pulled a rookie mistake, and should have known better to do in the first place.  :alan2cents:   

plum crazy rt

Yes he wanted the picture back, I did however take a copy for my records however.

js27

Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad you were able to re coup your money. It is sad that this happens. It is a problem when the mopar experts who know how to make it correct so nobody ever knows get involved in this stuff. The old saying " BUYER BEWARE" hold true.
JS27

kathyscuda

THIS IS WHY RUSTED UNREPAIRABLE PILES O SHIT SELL FOR SO MUCH.
SOMEBODY HAS A RUST FREE 6 CYLINDER BODY IN WAITING.