Main Menu

Water valve options

Started by b5cuda, March 11, 2023, 05:56:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Good morning guys,
Please school me on water valve options for Air Conditioned cars. I have the cabin HVAC unit assembled for my project but I'm not sure which type of water valve (vacuum or cable controlled) to use.  I'm not sure how either is activated from the cabin. This cuda is a resto-mod so originality is not a concern, just looking for functionality. Appreciate your tips. Thanks!

EV2RTSE

E-bodies originally used a cable operated valve, 70-74. Some B and C body cars used a vacuum operated one. Since originality is not a concern I would avoid the brick red & black bakelite valves as they are prone to cracking and leaks. Just run an aftermarket metal one. 

b5cuda

Thanks for the tip! Can you tell me how/where the cable connects inside the cabin? I don't have any of the hardware and am unclear how the valve is actuated.

EV2RTSE

It runs from the temperature control lever by the a/c push buttons to the water valve, early on it ran out by the brake booster, along the firewall & then to the valve. A bit later it ran along the inside of the firewall under the dash and out by the a/c connections. I believe this way looks cleaner myself.

Rich G.

This is the replacement one for the original style. If you need one I have one.

b5cuda

Thanks guys, very helpful! Think I'm on track now. I have a valve similar to the one in your pic but with a different base.

MoparLeo

Cable adjustment information is in your Factory Service Manual.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...