Main Menu

Weight of an e-body shell?

Started by b5cuda, July 31, 2018, 07:15:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Just wondering what a stripped-down cuda shell weighs without engine, trans, 3rd member, fenders, hood, trunk, doors, glass, interior etc.  Anyone have information on this?  Getting ready to haul to a friend's shop and wondering about weight.  Thanks! 

73chalngr

I am no body man but shouldn't you have some kind of support where the doors were so you take stress off of A-pillar and roof ?

RUNCHARGER

Sorry: Wild guess would be 1200-1500lbs. I've never weighed one though.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

I would say roughly 1500 lbs with some suspension parts still attached.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: 73chalngr on July 31, 2018, 08:41:13 AM
I am no body man but shouldn't you have some kind of support where the doors were so you take stress off of A-pillar and roof ?

On a convertible maybe, but I hope there wouldn't be an issue on a hardtop :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 31, 2018, 08:41:48 AM
Sorry: Wild guess would be 1200-1500lbs. I've never weighed one though.

I'm gonna guess it's to the low end of that.... I know without front suspension I can pick up the front of a Challenger leaving the rear pivoting on the tires....  So maybe 200 lbs? Front suspension, K, brakes, tires & wheels.... 350ish? (when I was younger I picked up a few minus tires/wheels so 350 is probably a high number) Rear axle with brakes tires & wheels 250?  Back end of the car has more steel than the front but not allot... 300#?   I got 1100#... So I think 1200 is a fairly safe number... :alan2cents:

b5cuda

Thanks everyone - very helpful!  I was guessing in the same ballpark, or maybe lighter because there's really not much besides the sheet metal.
Appreciate the confirmation!

YellowThumper

Quote from: anlauto on July 31, 2018, 09:31:24 AM
Quote from: 73chalngr on July 31, 2018, 08:41:13 AM

On a convertible maybe, but I hope there wouldn't be an issue on a hardtop :dunno:

Agreed. Especially with the drivetrain removed.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Blake129

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 lbs. My dynacorn shell was shipped with a steel cage around it and the shipping weight was 1700 lbs.
Owner of 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T PCP (in progress)
512 stroker, Edelbrock Victor heads, Edelbrock Victor Intake, Solid roller cam, 2 step setup, 727 w/ manual valve body & transbrake, electric cutouts, cage car, 4.10s, caltrac / calvert racing suspension... building a mean street machine

70 Challenger Lover

I have a shell with doors but no suspension of any kind. I put it on stands myself and it can't weigh more that 600 pounds maybe. And that's with doors and a K frame. Your rear end weighs a ton as do the leaf springs and four wheels.

Without doors, fenders, hood, I'd be surprised if you are over 1000.