Main Menu

Western Sport Special

Started by blown motor, August 20, 2022, 05:36:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I was at Moparfest today and there was WSS. I thought the WSS had fixed rear windows but this one had window cranks. Educate me.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

That car was odd to say the least, with a lot of things changed around on it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Oh but a raft of documentation to make it all ok.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

mccannix

I believe it is the Challenger Deputy that has the fixed rear 1/4 glass.

WSS Challenger has regular fuctioning rear 1/4 glass.

benguin

My Challenger WSS definitely did not have fixed quarter windows.
  Ben

cuda hunter

Was there an A93 on the fender tag? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

benguin

Should have an A91 for the WSS flavor, and I am curious to see if anyone could get the A93 AND the A92, since there are some notable differences with the steering wheel and steel vs rallye wheels.

tparker

My rears roll down.

The wss seems just to be a dress up kit and a sticker. LOL. I love mine, but the vinyl top wasn't original, I had to repaint it, I didn't like the rubber side trim and I wanted a 340. So mine isn't a real wss anymore. But it's close.

6bblgt

A91 is Western Sport Special - all 4 windows function - basically a trim package.  1 of every 4 Challenger hardtops (JH23) sold in California were WSSs

A93 is DEPUTY - rear windows are fixed & interior is limited to black or white & the seat pattern and material are similar to Barracuda but "cheaper"

anlauto

This car Murray is wondering about was also an A66 car :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

With everyone here referencing the A91 WSS Challenger, I thought I'd chime in with thoughts. When I bought my 70 Slant6 Challenger in March '72. Originally after it rolled off the assy. line 8/69 and sat on dealers lot 8 mos. Before being sold April 70. When I bought as a used trade-in with 40K on the clock from that same Dodge dealership, I liked the color K2 Go-Mango right off, but it had all of this extra trim on it, can you say SE. No A91 on fender tag but all the WSS/SE trim inside and out, but no vinyl top. I ran into Govier at a Spring Fling Mopar meet and he was saying the dealership probably trimmed out the car to finally sell it off, or make a deal for the potential customer. I tend to agree but I have left all of this extra trim on the car to this day. What do you all think here? Thanks.  Al

mccannix

Just a interesting bit of info.
1969 Darts also had a Western Sport option as seen on this one I used to own.
Same decal was used the next year on Challengers with that option.

tparker

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 22, 2022, 11:01:41 PM
A91 is Western Sport Special - all 4 windows function - basically a trim package.  1 of every 4 Challenger hardtops (JH23) sold in California were WSSs

A93 is DEPUTY - rear windows are fixed & interior is limited to black or white & the seat pattern and material are similar to Barracuda but "cheaper"

1 out of 4? wow I didn't know there were so many. I haven't seen any others besides mine. Not even sure I've seen one at a car show. And here I thought I was special.  :haha:

6bblgt

here's my rationale for that "1 of 4" statement based on available numbers  :crazytalk:  none of the numbers are written in stone & account for ~90% of production

38,091 US shipped JH23 (Challenger hardtops) with V8
15.2% of those were N95 emission equipped ~ 5,790 cars built for the CA market
2.8% of the (38,091) Challengers are 318 with A91 "Western Sport Specials" ~ 1,067 cars *
1.0% of the (38,091) Challengers are 383 with A91 "Western Sport Specials" ~ 381 cars *
plus an UNKNOWN number of 340 cars
******************* quick math:    1,448 / 5,790 = 25.0% (1 of 4) **********************
&
there are an additional ~145 slant-6 225 cu.in. Western Sport Special Challengers

* Western Sport Specials were built for other western markets besides California, but the majority are CA

tparker